A Perfect Combination

➕Matthew 5:13➕

Sodium is an extremely active element that always links itself to another element. Chlorine is a poisonous gas. When combined, chlorine stabilizes sodium, and sodium neutralizes the poison of the chlorine. The result, sodium chloride, is common table salt, a highly stable substance used through the centuries to preserve meat, enhance flavor, and, prior to modern medicine, help clean and heal wounds.

For a Christian, love and truth can be like sodium and chlorine. Both are essential elements in a believer's life, but pursuing one without the other can be unmanageable and even dangerous. Love without truth is flighty, sometimes blind, and often willing to combine with strange or perverse doctrines. It is highly unstable, tossed to and fro on a sea of emotions.

On the other hand, truth by itself can be offensive, sometimes even poisonous. Spoken without love, it can turn people away from God. It can wound, even kill, a person's longing for the nurturing presence of the Heavenly Father.

When the truth and love combined in an individual, however, we have what Jesus called "the salt of the earth." We are able to heal those with spiritual wounds, preserve and encourage the best in one another, and bring out the personal zest and unique gifts of each person.

Today, as you deal with others, seek to let your words and actions be grounded in truth and delivered with love.

✳✳✳

"Love looks not with the eyes,
but with the heart." ❤