Chapter 29: Breakfast of Champions

The sound of papers rustling woke me, I stretched and turned over. Bruce was standing at my desk looking at my drawings with fondness. A maid had opened up the curtains letting sunlight pour in and the morning doves cooed loudly.

"I never realized how remarkable these are." He said, "You're very talented, Krystal."

I smiled and sat up, "Good morning, Dad."

He paused when he saw the picture of me and Tim. His eyebrows creased together and his hand twitched slightly to move it aside but he was frozen on the spot.

"Very talented." He repeated to himself.

I sighed looking at the picture in his hands. "I'm sorry", I said looking down feeling mortified and ashamed again. I remembered what Kara told me last night and tried to brace myself for it.

He glanced back at me and waved the picture. "Don't be, you're almost 15. I forgot that you're growing up and now I know to keep a better eye on you." He smiled good-naturedly. Though something about his tone told me he was only half joking. He brought up the picture where in his eyes Dick and I were small children and a touched smile curled onto his face.

"Tim is better than some other fool. However, I'll tell you this now." He stopped suddenly and thought deeply for a moment. "You know those women I'm with sometimes, and they are really... Well they don't respect themselves."

"They're bimbos." I said for him.

He nodded and forced a fake strained grin, "Exactly. I don't want you to end up that way or behave in that way--"

"Dad, I won't--" I started but he held up a hand to stop me.

"I don't want you engaging in kisses with boys or anything more than that. I know there will come a time where they will say things to you--and trust me I know this, I've had my fair share of games--and make you feel guilty. But you can say no, Krystal."

"Dad!" I shouted. He stopped, I sighed. "I know where this is going. I will be careful, okay? I promise."

He stared at me for bit before consenting. He actually looked much more relieved about not having to go too into the subject than I was. "Alright, um, good. There's one more thing."

Couldn't this just be over already! I took a deep breath though, I just had to play cool. Just like he plays cool all the time.

He held up the drawing of my romantic encounter with Tim. "You two can stay friends, he is a good kid and lucky for you, I do like Tim." I felt my spirits lift, "but I don't want this kind of behavior and you're no longer allowed to be alone together. At least until I say you're old enough." He paused for a moment, "I had a nice... talk... with him last night so I know he will behave. I just need to count on you to not tempt or torture him."

I felt myself blush and looked away.

"Do you understand?" He interrogated seriously.

I practically saluted him because of how businesslike he was being, then I decided to maybe return the favor.

"When will I be old enough?"

He had a look on his face like he had expected that, "19." He responded confidently.

Was he crazy? That was way too old! "How about 15?" I tried to reason. Time for negotiations.

Again he looked like he had expected me to try and reason with him, "18."

"16?"

"17."

"Deal." I smiled. That still felt like a long way away but it was much better than 19. Besides I didn't want to go into irrational numbers like 16 and a half and whatnot. Plus he had a look like he wasn't going to go below 17, it would be a waste if I kept challenging him. He nodded and looked relieved that I decided to back down.