Chapter 3: What happens at Camp...

"I can't believe you packed the suit!?" Kara stared at the bottom of my suitcase in irritated disbelief.

Laying there neatly folded was my batgirl suit, the bat symbol facing out. She put all my clothes back over it and turned to face me with her hands on her hips like an angry mom.

I zipped it shut. "I can't help but need to be prepared." I narrowed my eyes at her. "Sorry." The apology dripped out a little more poisonously than I intended. Oops.

She let her arms fall limply to her side, and gave me a certain look, like she felt sympathy for me, but I think she meant to come off as understanding. The time I'd spent on the streets helped me learn how to read people based on their body language and facial expressions, alien or not, those things were pretty universal and I could read Kara like an open book.

She sighed, deciding to let go of our little clash. "Well, at least we're here and tonight is the first night of the bash." She squealed and clapped her hands excitedly.

I put the suitcase back under my bed. The Cabins were pretty cool, they were spacious with big windows and rustic decorations. One side of the campsite was for boys, the other side was for girls. It was huge, it seemed like almost every school, grades 8 and higher was there. At least the schools from the big cities in the country. I met people from Nashville, New York, Boston, San Francisco, etc. Even Kara couldn't believe it. She had come last year for a freshman trip from Metropolis and said that there hadn't been this many people before. Obviously, something had changed.

However, the party remained the same. That night, Mr. Dellini escorted us to an old arena hidden behind the mountains. We went through a locked gate, a long rotting hallway and eventually came out to a huge field in an abandoned stadium. Balloons were strung up, fireworks were going off, and there was little light, making playing sports and mingling a bit more spicy. They gave everyone a bottle of water so we wouldn't get dehydrated, and reminded us to refill them at the faucets when we ran out.

Everything became a blur suddenly. I was just walking around, talking to random people, and lighting fireworks. I think at one point I tried to sled down a grassy hill. I was smiling so much and having such a great time, Kara kept laughing and it made me laugh. I don't remember what was so funny.

We ran into Bart and Connor, most of our time was spent with them. Later on, M'gann appeared, disguised as a freckly, red headed southern belle. Then, Tim showed up when he got bored with his own friends from Gotham Heights Academy, ditching his own girlfriend even. I don't know what happened to Natalie or the rest of my class, they had simply fizzled away behind me. We were all laughing and running around. Tim grabbed my hands and we spun around in circles, then tried to race while we were so dizzy. The result was disastrous. Our foreheads collided when we ran in the same direction, straight into each other. I hit my tailbone against the grass when I fell back from the force, he ate dirt. Instead of being stunned, we laughed until we couldn't breathe, and we couldn't stop laughing. I began reminding myself of the Joker's incessant, freaky laughter, and that only made me laugh more. He was thinking the same thing, I could see it in his green eyes.

That's when I became conscious of the fog my brain was in, and the real pain from when we ran into each other. Why couldn't I stop laughing? He was waking up too.

"We've been drugged." He said in disbelief.

My mouth felt so dry, I needed a drink. I looked at the water fountains surrounding the field, where everyone was drinking like parched cattle on a migration.

"It's the water!" I said to Tim. "There's something in it!"

Kara and Connor had overheard us. "That explains it." She mused out loud.