"You are not going anywhere!" My dad yells. 

My eyes dart at him and I can't stop myself anymore. My fist flies to his face, making him fall backwards. I lunge at him and throw another punch. Before I can give another one, Jess pulls me away. 

"No, Lei." She says, tears in her eyes. "No." She shakes her head and puts her hand on my cheek, caressing it. 

All my anger just goes back in as I stare into her pleading eyes. 

"Let's just go," she says, tugging at my arms again. 

Before he can even recover from the fall, Jess and I go out the door, past the living room and outside. Mother follows us, calling my name. 

"Hu, ChengLei," she yells, grabbing my shirt. "Where do you think you're going?"

"He's coming with me." Jess pipes in, still power walking towards the car. "Drive us out of here," she orders the driver who stands up immediately from where he is sitting on the bench near the garage. 

"Ah-Cy," my mother still follows us out. She grabs a hold of Jess' arm and tugs at it. Jess doesn't seem to mind it as she shrugs my mom's hand off and opens the car door, letting me get in first. 

She then faces my mother, "He is my fiance. I will marry him whether you like or not." She shouts at her and my mother just gapes in shock. "And you," she points at Lisa who just got out of the house, "why the hell are you here? Are you stalking us or something? Is there something about me you really hate that you try to sabotage my relationships? Get the fuck off my case!" 

Everybody is stunned at her outburst. Even I, just stare at her in silence, my mouth agape. She gets in the car and tells the driver to take us home. 

"What?" She snaps, when she notices me looking at her with awe. 

I take her hand and let her face me. "Thank you."

"For what?" 

"Back there. Nobody ever really stood up for me before. Only Jin-Ah..." my voice trails of as his name leaves my mouth. "Anyway, thank you." I pull her to my arms and hug her, kissing the top of her head. 

I don't know what I did in my past life to ever deserve such a reward like her. Even after what I did, she still stood up for me. 

"I promise, I'll protect you. No matter what." I tell her. "I won't hurt you ever again."

She just nods. 

When we get home, I immediately call my lawyer. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Mark

I idly lay on my bed in my room. My family was happy to see me. The first thing they asked when I got here is, "So, where's Jess?" 

I honestly didn't know what to tell them or how to start since there's been so much going on. I just told them we needed time apart, but I think my father knows since Jake's been updating him almost everyday. 

He enters my room just when everybody goes to sleep. 

"Mark? Still up?"

"Yup," I answer, sitting on the bed.

He sits beside me and puts his hand on my shoulder, "Are you ok?" He gives me a smile that makes me want to just let it all out. Tears sting my eyes and I can't help but let them flow. "Hey," he pulls my head to his shoulder. 

"Dad, I miss her," I say, not embarrassed to show this side of me to him. He's always been my rock ever since. He's seen me cry over different problems before. Even when Lisa and I broke up, he was there to listen to me and give me advice. 

"I know, Mark." He runs his hand on my hair, "You love her, I get it. I know she feels the same way." 

"I don't know, dad. She doesn't want me in her life anymore." 

"Mark," he pats my back, "she's going through something that she can't really escape. You should understand her. She needs your understanding more than ever." 

I know that. But, a part of me is still angry and hurt at how she easily lets me out her life. Even saying she did love me. DID...in the past. Does she mean she doesn't anymore? Why does it have to be so complicated? 

"Son, be patient. Don't give up on her." 

"But, I did everything I could, dad. She still wouldn't accept my help."

"Mark, her problem is much bigger than what you think. I know Mr. Hu and I've seen him deal with his businesses before. He plays dirty. I think Jess already has a plan. Just trust her."

"Plan?" I smirk, recalling our conversation before I left Shanghai. "Yeah...and she said I'm not part of the plan." 

"She doesn't want you to be, Mark. Because it's dangerous. She loves you too much to let you in on it."

"How come you think of her that way?" 

"I know her family. I know her background. I've done my own investigation on her, Mark. When you told me she was in trouble, I tried to get whatever info I could. I know how you're worried about her. I just want you to know you're not alone in this. I'm always here for you." 

With his words, I sob again. Does it mean I just have to wait? For how long? But, he said it's dangerous, right? How can I be sure she's safe?

He smiles, "You really are not cut out for this kind of business, Mark. It's good you didn't take my offer when I asked you to take over the company," he chuckles. "I'm sure we would've gone bankrupt if you did."

I chuckle a bit, too. 

"You're just too soft-hearted," he adds, ruffling my hair, "Now, go to sleep."

I can't. I stay awake, browsing through my phone. I go to Google and search Jess' name. Pictures of her and her family come up. Then, one article in particular catches my attention. There's a picture of her and Lei in an event. It was just taken hours ago. Lei has decided to announce their wedding during a charity event his company has organized. 

I zoom in on her. She looks stunning in a formal aqua gown. Even with the turtle neck and long sleeves, her elegance stands out. Her hair is tied up in a bun and her face looks even thinner. I look closer...she actually has become thinner compared to the last time I saw her. When was that? Just a few days ago. How can she lose weight that fast? Is she eating? I remember back in Korea when I had to take her from GD's apartment because she passed out. It was because she hasn't eaten and was too tired from lack of sleep. Is she stressing herself again? 

My worries escalate even more as I stare at her sunken cheeks, deep eyes and collar bones protruding beneath her dress. What is she fuckin' doing to herself? Even though she's smiling, I can see a hint of sadness in her eyes. 

I look at her hands, those delicate thin hands. They're wrapped around Lei's arm. A huge diamond ring on her finger. I cringe. 

She needs you! GD's words come up again. What can I do? 

My phone rings and I jump up in surprise. Lisa? 

Why is she calling? I decline the call but it rings again. I press the red button yet again. After a minute, I receive a text message. 

'Mark, answer the damn phone. I'm in Shanghai and I've just seen Jess.'

What? How? She calls again and this time I immediately answer. 

"Mark." Her voice still annoys me. 

"What?"

"You have to come here."