Chapter 23: Mad Skills

(The same day)

Rainbow Dash's POV

The bell finally rang. It's ringing sound filled me with energy 'cause the next thing would be the tryouts!

I looked at Applejack excitedly and grabbed her hand.

"C'mon AJ let's go!" I told her as I started walking.

"Ah know ah know. Just gimme a sec." She chuckled and grabbed her things.

We headed to the lobby where Vice Principal Luna and Principal Celestia was waiting.

We all gathered there for some announcements before the start of the tryouts.

"To all team captains, please approach your coaches and get ready for the tryouts. Good luck to all of you!" Vice Principal Luna announced.

Every year we pick only some players from the varsity team to give chances to others who would like to show their skills in sports.

Lucky for them, I'll be training them. Well, as team captain obviously. Hehe.

But I know I know. This baby apple beside me is a bit worried since that clingy Vanessa signed up.

I grabbed Applejack's arms and pulled her a bit closer. She looked at me with her green eyes and I knew what she was thinking.

I can tell that she's trying to look into my soul and tell me that she's alright and she's cool if Van's around but at the same time I should be careful.

I smiled and told her simply, "Don't worry."

We let go of each other and told our goodbyes. "Good luck, Rainbow.", she told me.

I thanked her and said, "You too".

Soarin and Spitfire called me from afar.

"I gotta go. Bye!" I told my girlfriend.

"Bye, Rainbow!" She replied while I walked away.

I didn't want to leave her yet but I had to. I still want to hold her and tell her that she shouldn't worry. I walked towards coach and my team. I saw Van. Boy did my blood boiled a bit. She annoys me not just because she's too clingy but because she's making Applejack feel bad. 

Coach showed me the list of the students who wanted to join the fest. I sighed. 

"Well let's get this over with.", I told myself. 

"For those who don't know me, I'm Rainbow Dash, the captain of the Wondercolts' soccer team. In this tryouts, Coach Kane is looking for athletes who have determination. Show him that you have what it takes to participate in this year's Sports Fest. Good luck guys and show me that you're awesome!" I told them as I look at them one by one. 

Van gave me a grin. "What are you up to?" I asked her in my head then smiled at her. 

The tryouts finally started and each student showed how fit, fast, agile, alert, and how strong they are. I remembered Applejack all of a sudden. Applejack was (and is) my perfect definition for an 'athlete'. I really wish she's here with the soccer team but she's with her team, too. The basketball team needed her there of course. Yup you heard me, she's also a team captain. 

Oh how I just love it when she ties her hair into a ponytail and she runs across the court with her perfect and fit body. And that look on her face when she attempts to shoot. So serious yet so beautiful. Even with the sweat dropping from her chin, she looked like a goddess. And when she---

"Rainbow Dash?" Coach asked me. 

I snapped out of it immediately. I was daydreaming for about 5 minutes! 

"Look what you're doing to me, Applejack." I mumbled and smiled. 

"What was that, Dash?" He asked me. "Oh uhh... I was just busy finalizing my top picks for the team." I lied. What really happened was I daydreamed about my girlfriend... again.

"Is that so? Well that's good." He said while we stood in an area where we could see all those who were training. There were students who kept going while some laid on the ground and breathed heavily. Then I remembered something. I felt like I wasn't able to look at this one person. Who was it?

"Do you know that girl with Spitfire?" Coach asked.

Training beside Spitfire was Van. My eyes widened when I saw how cool she still was while they ran across the field. 

"V-van, Sir. Vanessa Kingsleigh." I told him. 

"She has skills. Mad ones. I bet she's one of your picks for the team." He told me. I gulped. Uh-oh, coach is impressed. 

"She has great speed, endurance, agility don't you think? Although she's not that alert, she could be fixed." He said. I couldn't lie. Van WAS good! 

"Yes, coach." I replied without taking my eyes off of her. 

"I want you to be the one who will personally train her since you're so good and you're the team captain after all." He ordered. All I did was nod.

I know to myself that I wouldn't break AJ's heart and trust so I gave it a shot. Besides, maybe it's time to end the feelings Van has for me. I'll just be a friend and a captain to her, nothing more than that. 

I smiled at myself. 

"Everything I do is for us, Applejack." I spoke softly.

----------------------

Third Person POV

 Vanessa got into the team after she showed her skills. After almost a week of training, Rainbow Dash decided to be friends with Van since she didn't do anything wrong to her or the girls.  

"Hey." Rainbow Dash said during their 5-minute break.

"Hey to you, too." Vanessa replied.

"Well uhm, I just wanna tell you that you've been improving since our first training." Dash told her.

Van smiled and thanked her. "Is that all?" She asked.

Rainbow Dash thought about it for a moment. It's best to clear things now, right? In that way, no one would be miserable in the end.

"There is one thing." 

"What's that?" Van's lips formed an evil grin but Rainbow didn't notice it. She thought her plans have finally worked and that Dash had finally fallen for her. But what Rainbow was about to say was the exact opposite.

"You know I have a girlfriend, right? I just want to clear some things out. I just remember those times when you said you had feelings for me. I just hope you're not expecting that I'll return those feelings." Rainbow Dash said calmly and nicely so that Van won't be hurt or anything. 

But the truth is: this brat never had feelings for her.

"Oh is that it. I know. I respect your relationship. Don't worry, I could control my feelings for you, Rainbow Dash." Van said with her fake sad face.

Outside, she was this broken-hearted girl. But inside, she was angry. She thought her plan worked and that her mission was a success. 

"Thank you for understanding." Rainbow Dash said and left. 

She was proud of what she did. She did it for Applejack, for both of them, and also for her friends. 

End of Chapter 23