Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

"Want to take a walk?" He asked.

My eyes snapped up to meet his. How did he know that's what I needed?

He raised his eyebrows, questioningly. I nodded quickly, reaching out to take his hand in mine, twining them together. Needing something to ground me.

He lead me towards the elevator and once we entered, he tugged me closer with the grip he had on my hand and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

I let out a breath at the contact, squeezing my eyes closed, my fingers reflexively clutching his tighter.

When we stepped outside the main entrance and walked into the cool night air, I took a deep breath in. He led me quietly to the edge of the forest and I followed him easily.

When he continued to lead me deeper into the thick forest, I followed, no feelings of trepidation in me.  I contemplated this feeling, wondering why I felt so safe around him, but I couldn't come up with a perfect answer. It was just how he made me feel. It was just...it was...

It just was.

When we stopped, I leaned against a tree with a large trunk and slid down, crossing my legs under me. Rafe joined me at my side, his feet stretched out before him.

He didn't rush me and that helped. I closed my eyes, leaning my head back against the rough bark and inhaled.

Then I turned my head to look at him. His eyes were already on me.

"Would you ever hit me?" I asked him.

"What do you think?" Rafe asked me, his eyes glittering dangerously.

I sighed, then turned around so that my shoulder brushed the trunk now, my crossed knees brushing his thigh and hip.

"Do C'Riel men hit...women?" I asked.

I knew I'd asked something wrong because Rafe's eyes went dark and his jaw clenched.

I held my arms up.

"I'm sorry. I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just trying to understand." I said.

"Understand what, exactly?" He gritted out.

I huffed.

"I saw that asshole's fingerprint marks on Kylee today." I said, then clarified, "That C'Riel she's always hanging around with."

Rafe leaned forward.

"What did you see?" He asked me.

I explained what I'd seen, stumbling over the words, but Rafe seemed to understand.

Then his angry eyes flicked to mine.

"What does this have to do with the question you had asked about sex and ethrés?" He asked.

I swallowed, then took the leap.

"She's pregnant." I said.

Rafe went unnaturally still, his eyes burning into both of mine.

"Who is the father?" He asked slowly when I didn't continue on my own.

"The asshole." I said.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

I nodded, "He said so himself," I told him.

Rafe took a sharp breath and lept to his feet and started pacing, muttering under his breath.

Yeah, I feel you buddy.

"But you told me—" my voice broke and Rafe stilled, his eyes snapping to meet mine, "You said...that nothing can...that C'Riel cannot have any kind of physical intimacy without—"