Chapter Twenty Four

I was totally sneaking out. With a boy.

Who is a friend, I reminded myself.

I turned around, holding my arms up at Rafe, "I promise I'm not ducking out of my punishment. Just five minutes okay?" I told him sternly.

Rafe's lips twitched as he looked down at me, "Okay." He said.

I nodded my head and walked to the elevator. Rafe keyed in the digit that would lead us to the Main Entrance. I practically sprinted out, much to Rafe's amusement.

"How much trouble am I going to get into?" I asked him, as I waited impatiently for him to open the main door that lead outside.

Rafe looked at me, "You will not get into trouble,"

"Um, one, I left my room. Two, I'm leaving the building. I'm just adding brownie points against myself here." I said, counting them off on my fingers.

He chucked me under my chin with two fingers that were gloved-when did he glove them?-with a smile on his face.

"You will not get in trouble," he assured me, again.

I shrugged, "Even if I did..." My voice trailed off as the door before me opened and I watched as lush rains poured from the heavens, "It would totally be worth it," I breathed out. 

I stepped out into the rain, letting the large drops splatter over me, piercing my skin in the most wonderful way. I looked up, closing my eyes as the rain drenched me through. The water was cold, but I paid it no mind.

I looked at Rafe, who still stood in the shade of the the building, his arms crossed as he considered me seriously.

"Come on," I ushered him, "The rain feels so amazing."

Rafe didn't say anything, I don't even know if he heard me. He was watching me with so much intensity, it seemed like nothing would penetrate through.

I stalked to him, caught his gloved fingers in mine. He seemed shocked out of his reverie, as he looked down at my fingers on his.

If he didn't like it, I figured he'd tell me.

But he didn't say anything, he just looked back at me, his eyes almost glowing fire in the dark.

"Come on," I ushered him in a whisper and tugged.

His eyes went back to my fingers clutching his and he turned both his hands around, intertwining our fingers with one another, casting a glance at me through his lashes.

Heat spread through me despite the chill of the fat drops of rain that beat down on me.

A soft breath left my lips as our fingers were completely entwined. Ignoring any feelings developing within me at the act, I tugged at him, our arms stretching in front of us, because I wasn't strong enough to move him.

"Rafe," I said. I was leaning back, he was holding my whole weight by the clutch of ten fingers and I slanted my head back, letting the rain assault me again.

Rafe stepped forward and the action almost had me falling back, because I was still trying to pull him into the rain. He quickly caught me by tugging me forward with the hold he had on my fingers and I stumbled into him.