Chapter 10

A few days had passed and I still hadn't told Oswald about our surprise baby, truth be told I was kind of scared that he would reject me. Not that I really mind but it would be nice if he was in baby's life. Gertrude was getting on my nerves with all these crazy old remedies and voodoo shit she was going on about so I took her home and headed to work.

Arkham was looking for a new Director and people weren't exactly lining up to do the job after Director Lang was killed. It was harder to work with government officials running up and down the place and it was also putting my patients on edge. Plus I was thinking about my pregnancy, I was stressing big time when I really shouldn't be.

Royston sat in the corner of my office looking through old Shakespeare and mumbling to himself and I was having a very hard time concentrating on my work. Maybe I should go see Ed he used to always cheer me up when I feeling fragile. I didn't have Fish to talk to and I couldn't really explain my situation to Leslie without her going crazy on me.

I interviewed many nervous patients today because of all the unknown people running around the place. Once I finished up with my last patient I took Royston back to his cell. I gave him the Shakespeare books and I'm pretty sure he thanked by in his Shakespeare language.

When I got home Oswald was standing in front of the house looking disheveled. "Look can you not creep around my house, I don't have many neighbors so they're going to start getting suspicious that your creeping around here." I said walking in the large home. He followed me in the house and went straight to the kitchen, and walked out with a bottle of champagne.

"Sal Maroni just tried to crush me in a car, Fish is still alive and she ratted me out to Maroni. You're going to ask so I'll tell you anyway, I've been working with Falcone this whole time and Fish found out. Somehow she's alive even though Victor was supposed to take care of her." He explained handing me a very full glass of champagne. As much as I loved alcohol the smell of this champagne was upsetting my stomach.

"So what your saying is Fish ratted you out just like how you ratter her out. Well I don't really see the problem with her trying to get even, it's like she used to tell me all the time. What goes around comes around. You screwed her over so now she screwed you over. How did she even find out?"I put the glass down on the coffee table and headed up to my room. "Are you sick? In the little time we've spent together you never seemed like the one to turn down a drink." Oswald asked following me upstairs.

Of course he would say something, the man was annoying as hell and loved to get his ass kicked but he was as sharp as a tack. "I'm fine, I just don't feel like drinking right now, what I do need is a nice hot bath though." I looked back at him and he frowned, he knew I was lying I could see it in his face.

He waddled past me and entered my bathroom turning on the water. "Well you maybe good at picking out liars but your terrible at lying, that's ok I won't bug you about it now since you just got home from work. I must be off mother told me she wants to sing at the club so I have some arrangements to make. Have a good night Princess." He hobbled out of the room and left the house. I sighed and ran downstairs quickly locking the front door before heading back to the bathroom to turn off the water.

I submerged myself into the tub and sighed for like the 100th time today. How was even supposed to tell him, and now he knows something is wrong. I wouldn't even be surprised if he figured out I was pregnant. After my bath I didn't even bother getting dressed I just jumped in bed and passed out.
******************>.<*********************

The next morning I felt terrible, so I didn't go into work, no way I could deal with being nauseous, all the annoyed inmates and the city officials running around. I had gotten a couple calls from Leslie, she was worried about me but I wasn't really in the mood to talk. I was really feeling down and sad, and for some reason, it probably had to do with the baby and my hormones being all over the place.

I slowly pulled on a simple summer dress and headed downstairs in the kitchen. I was starving and I wasn't in the mood to be cooking, maybe I'll order like three pizzas. I did just that and I couldn't be more excited when the pizza arrived, until I opened the door. Oswald and the pizza man were waiting, the pizza man looking a little freaked out and Oswald with his creepy smile. Oswald took the pizza and walked into the house and I handed the pizza man his money before closing the door.

"What did I tell you about creeping around my house?" I yelled taking the boxes from him. "I came to check on you, to see if you were feeling better when I met my friend outside. Anyway how are you feeling you look pale." He said putting his hand on my forehead. I pushed him away and started chowing down on the pizza. "I'm fine just really hungry." I wasn't necessarily lying I was really hungry.

He frowned at me and shook his head. "I spoke to mother this morning and she told me you had something very important to tell me." Of course she did if I didn't tell him I know she would and he would probably slit my throat.

"Sit down, because I don't know how you're going to take my news. It's the reason I haven't been feeling well and I'm always tired. I'm actually kind of surprised you haven't figured it out yet because your smart." I explained as he sat down beside me. I sighed and looked down at my shaking hands. I was internal screaming but I had to tell him he has a right to know.

"Well I went with your mother to the clinic the other day because she told me something that completely shocked me and I didn't want to believe her. Turns out she was right, I should've known; mother knows best. I just don't want you to completely re..." "Just get to the point!" Oswald yelled cutting me off. I stood up and walked towards the staircase so my back was facing him, there was no way I could look him in the eye. "I'm pregnant." I said it quickly but I was 100% sure he heard.

"Just tell me what was so important and stop messing around Penelope." He thought I was joking. "I'm serious Oswald if you don't believe me I have the papers upstairs." I yelled turning towards him. I jumped a little when I saw him standing right in front of me with his eyes wide. "Are you serious?" I nodded as he dropped down to his knees and wrapped his arms around my waist. "So it is true, I suspected you were but I wanted to be sure. It is mine right?" I nodded and hugged my flat stomach.

"I don't even know what to say, I'm happy it's you Penelope. We may have gotten off on the wrong foot but I'm grateful for you and our baby." I expected a completely different response from him but I was kind of happy, I wasn't going to be alone in this.