Failure

“Going to homecoming?”

            I look up and peer at Damon in the mirror. Raising an eyebrow, I return to applying my makeup. “Yeah, so?”

            “I just figured you wouldn’t be into that kind of thing…seeing as how you’re like a billion years old,” he says, walking over and leaning against the sink.

            I punch his arm and he smiles. “Look, I have nothing better to do tonight and if I’m correct, dances tend to take a turn for the worse for you guys.”

            “So what, you’re just going to dance a little, spike the punch, try to fend off evil?” he asks, grinning.

            I lay the eyeliner down next to the sink and look over at him. “Shut up.” He laughs and reaches over, snatching the mascara off the counter. Damon looks at it, inspecting the yellow tube. I reach over, take it from him, and turn to put it back down. “So, what are you going to do about Rebekah?” I ask, gathering the makeup and storing it back into my small, black bag.

            “Not sure, but I know we definitely can’t trust her…or her vamp-hunting father,” Damon replies.

            I grab the makeup bag and step away from the sink. “Just be careful, Damon. Rebekah isn’t as ignorant as you may believe and Mikael is extremely dangerous,” I tell him. He stares at me and I hold his gaze for a moment, before turning around and heading out of his bathroom. I glide out onto the walkway and over to my room. I slip inside and toss the bag onto the bed. It lands beside the dress I laid out to wear tonight. The bag bounces next to the black, low-cut, backless cocktail dress and then lies still on the comforter. I head back out of the room and run into Elena. I smile and greet her, “Hey, Elena.”

            She smiles back at me. “Hi, Elizabeth.”

            I step around her and motion to Damon’s room. “Damon’s in there if you’re looking for him.”

            She glances over her shoulder. “Oh, thanks.”

            “You’re welcome,” I mumble and turn around, heading downstairs. I dash down the steps and into the living room, where I find Stefan lounging on the couch. He looks up and smiles. I’m tempted to turn around and head right back upstairs, but I am not going to let Stefan chase me away. The young vampire sits up as I walk over and take a seat across from him. I lean over and pour myself a drink. He looks me up and down with mildly amused, green eyes.

            “You did your makeup. Are you going to the dance tonight?” he inquires.

            I meet his gaze as I take a swig of the bourbon. Pulling the glass away from my lips, I mutter, “Maybe.”

            “You know, you could be a little nicer to me. I am helping you kill Klaus,” he tells me, leaning back against the cushion.

            “Yes, because it benefits you, not because he’s a danger to everyone. You’re selfish,” I say, setting the half empty glass on the table.

            Stefan’s lips curve into a grin and he crosses his arms over his chest. “Say what you want about me, Elizabeth. In the end, you still need my help with this.” I glare at him as he pushes himself up from the couch. He steps around the table and moves toward the stairs. My hard gaze follows him with each step. “Don’t worry. If you can’t find a date for tonight-” He stops and turns around, smiling at me with a mocking glint in his eyes. “-I’ll take you.” I pick up a pillow and throw it at him. It rockets toward him with lightning speed, but he’s up the stairs before it can get halfway across the room. The pillow hits the front door with a loud thud and drops to the floor. I sit on the couch, fuming. I can’t stand Stefan anymore. The sooner we kill Klaus, the sooner Stefan will (hopefully) cease being such a jerk.