Prank Night

The halls are dark and the only sound is my shoes thumping rhythmically against the linoleum. I smile as I sneak up on a familiar silhouette, her curled dark hair bouncing lightly as she gathers toilet paper rolls from the janitor’s closet. Silently, I come up behind her and grab her shoulders, exclaiming, “What are you doing here?!”

            Bonnie lets out a frightened shout and I laugh, leaning against the doorframe. She shoots me a look and hits my arm with a roll of toilet paper, smiling. “You almost gave me a heart attack, Elizabeth,” she says, grabbing two more rolls. She tries to juggle them in her arms and I take three from her.

            “Sorry, couldn’t help it.” I grin at her. Bonnie opens her mouth to say something when my phone starts ringing. I struggle to free a hand and dig my phone out of my back pocket. A picture of a drunk, passed out Damon appears on my screen with his name under it. I sigh, answering the call. “Hey, where-”

            He doesn’t give me a chance to finish. “Hey, I just wanted to remind you to lock the liquor cabinet if you leave the house. Don’t want anything to mysteriously disappear,” he tells me. I can hear him smiling on the other line.

            I frown. “Is that all you care about?”

            Bonnie shuts the janitor’s closet and we start walking back down the hall together. “I was thinking we could teepee the pool,” she says to me, taking my attention off Damon.

            “And the gym,” I add, with a wink.

            “Was that Bonnie?” Damon asks, “What are you and Sabrina the teenage witch up to?”

            “Pulling pranks on the school,” I reply, “I’m helping the kids out with senior prank night.”

            “Aren’t you a little too old to be participating in senior prank night?” he jeers.

            Rolling my eyes, I tell him, “Caroline asked me to come-”

            Bonnie pipes up, “And by that she means that Caroline forced her into coming.”

            I smile at Bonnie. “Caroline thought I might be lonely at the house all by myself. Speaking of which, where are you?”

            There’s a pause on the other line as we turn down another hallway, dimly lit by moonlight pooling in through the windows. Then, Damon finally says, “I needed a little break.”

            “Oh, just hang up already,” a familiar voice hisses from somewhere nearby. I narrow my eyes and stop. “Are you with Katherine?”

            “Maybe. I’ll see you later.”

            “Wait!” I call into the phone. I hear the click and then the dial tone. Letting out a slow sigh, I slip the phone back into my pocket and start walking towards the pool again.

            “Was that Damon?” Bonnie asks, glancing over at me.

            I nod. “Yeah, but he didn’t say where he was. I think he may be with Katherine. I’m not sure though.” We turn down another hallway and bump into Matt. His shirt is soaked with perspiration and he’s got a tired look on his face.

            “Hey guys.” He looks down at the rolls of toilet paper in our hands and gives us a funny look. “What’s with all the toilet paper?” he asks, confused.

            “We’re going to teepee the pool and the gym,” Bonnie declares, smiling wide.

            Matt stares at us for a moment and then gives a small smile. “Mind if I come with?”