The Crash

I pushed down the gas pedal, my car zooming out and off the parking lot of Arby's, into the cold night that awaited behind me. My ham sandwich was in the passenger seat next to me, the aroma filling my nostrils, taunting me. The fries were also contained in the plastic bag, their smell absolutely tantalizing. I decided I couldn't wait anymore and took one hand off of the steering wheel, sticking my hand in the bag, grabbing something that was food. I brought it up to my mouth, savoring the flavor that filled my mouth. I chewed on my meal, gazing out the window as I drove down the deserted back road, my mind wondering other places. Thinking about Pre-Cal and how I could possibly pass,I heard my phone buzz, signaling that I and got a text from one of my few friends.

I swallowed what was still in my mouth, put down my sandwich, and grabbed my phone, the whole time occasionally glancing up at the road. I looked down at the brightly lit screen, opening up my messages to see who it was that is trying to talk to me.

Heyyyyyy, it read, just another mindless text that Ashley sent. I tossed the phone into the seat beside of me, not bothering to respond.

When I glanced up, I seemed to see death itself barreling down towards me.

Right in front of me, not a few meters ahead was a semi-truck coming at me, almost full speed if it wasn't for the emergency brake it had put on. I slammed my foot down on the gas pedal, trying to slow my vehicle down, and yanked the steering wheel to the right of me. The sound of tires squealing from both me and the semi filled my ears, and the sound of glass shattering followed not too soon after. I felt a searing pain go through my whole body, and then everything was black.