July 9

My parents didn't end up punishing me as badly as I thought they would. I mean, I was still grounded, but at least it was only for the rest of the month and not my life. My curfew had been changed to ten, I was required to practice twice my music twice as much as usual, and I was now the designated driver for the kids the rest of the month.

Bethany has a slumber party? I have to drop her off and pick her up. Anthony wants to play at the park? I'm his new buddy. Sanako has a play date? I'm her new mommy (note the sarcasm.). Which is why today when the twins had swim class, I was with them at the pool.

Melanie and Elizabeth claim they want to be Olympic swimmers someday so mom got them in this class at the country club. While they went through their swim lesson with their privet tudor, a very handsome guy in his mid-twenties who moved here a few years back from Africa, I relaxed on the side of the pool and worked on my tan.

I had my eyes closed as my skin soaked up the sun when a voice startled me.

"Hey, Eliana." I whirled around to see Toby. My heart sped up slightly at the sight. His eyes trailed over me.

I felt a little self-conscious in my high waisted floral and black bikini but smiled anyway as I replied. "Hey. I didn't expect to see you here."

He grinned. "I got a job as a lifeguard." He announced proudly. "My shift starts in twenty minutes."

"Really?" For the first time I realized he was dressed in red swim trunks and a white tank top with the word "lifeguard" on it. He also had on a red visor and a whistle. "That's so neat. Maybe I should come here more often." I said flirtatiously.

He scanned my body again. "Maybe you should." He said huskily. I blushed in response. He glanced down at his watch. "I gotta go. Talk to you later?"

"Of course." I smiled widely. He waved and walked over to the lifeguard stand where another guy was waiting to trade with him.

I watched as Toby pulled off his shirt in one swift motion, putting his toned abs on display for all to see. His muscles rippled as he climbed up the stand and sat down. He caught my eye and winked at me. I blushed in embarrassment at having been caught ogling Toby.

I shifted my head to scan the pool and see very few people around. Besides the twins and their teacher swimming on one end, there was a group of elderly women sitting on the stairs in the shallow end and a group of middle school aged girls being watched by two older guys. The girls were very obviously checking out Toby. I scowled. I longed to go over and claim him for myself, but he wasn't mine. He's just a friend right now.

I sighed and got up to get in the water. I did a perfect dive into the water and swam over to where the twins were finishing their lesson. I float off to the side while I wait for them. I'm so engrossed with watching them that I don't even notice the little girl swimming over to me until she taps my arm. She looks to be about twelve years old. She's blonde with gray eyes and she's dressed in a modest lavender swimsuit.

"Excuse me," she said. "My brother wants to know if your single."

I raised my eyebrows. "Which one is your brother?" I asked.

"The blonde one." She said pointing to the taller of the two guys.

"Well tell your brother that if he wants to know something come ask me himself." I said glaring at her brother across the pool.

The back to her friends and a few minutes later the blonde guy swam over.

"Hey girl," he said when he reached me. "You must be lost because heaven is a long way from here." He winked at me.

"I'm not lost but you should get lost." I replied flatly.

He looked momentarily taken aback but soon recovered. "Can I at least take your picture first to prove to my friends angels do exist?"

"Not if you want to live long enough to show them." I said crossing my arms.

   Again he looked surprised by my response. Instead of replying he just shook his head and went back to his friend. I turned back to the twins to see their lesson was wrapping up. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I whirled around to see the other guy standing there.

"So, you got a name? Or should I
just call you mine?" He asked, his lips curled into a grin.

"No you should not." I replied shortly. These guys were really starting to get on my nerves.

He just smiled in amusement at my response. "Are you sunburned? Or are you always this hot?" He winked flirtatiously.

I just looked at him like he was stupid, which I was starting to think he was. "Are you kidding me?" I asked incredulously.

He laughed and moved a little closer. "I seemed to have forgotten my number. Can I have yours?"

I pretended to ponder his question for a minute. "No." I responded flatly.

He just laughed again. "Your something else." He commented before swimming away.

   By now the twins had finished their lesson and wanted to play. We played Marco-polo first then they wanted to play the color game. I scooped Melanie up in my arms bridal style and thought for a minute.

"Okay I have a color." I said.

"Blue!"

"Nope." I dunked her underwater.

"Green."

I dunked her again and again until she finally guessed the right color.

"Red!" She shouted.

"Yep!" I flipped her over. She popped back up excitedly.

"I wanna do it again!" She exclaimed.

I smiled in amusement. "Let me do Elizabeth first then you can have another turn."

We spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the water before packing up and heading home. I said a quick goodbye to Toby as we left.

When we reached home I saw Danny and Valerie sitting on the porch. He was whispering something in her ear that made her smile. I watched as she leaned over and gave him a kiss. I thought of my own failed relationship with Connor and how all I ever wanted was for someone to look at me the way Danny looked at Valerie. Like I was the best thing that had ever happened to them. That's all I wanted.