Chapter 36: His Cloak Is His Only Saving Grace

Start from the beginning

I told myself something was seriously wrong. The lights of the hallway flickered to a blinding brightness until they went out completely surrounding everything with darkness. Unable to move, I took shaky breaths trying to calm myself. What is going on? Why can’t I move?

A soft blue light extenuated from behind me, basking the back wall of the hallway with light. A small, tempting voice told me I had to turn around. My feet unglued themselves from the wooden floor and I deliberately turned towards the light source.

I put my hand over my mouth so I wouldn’t scream. A giant white cloak in the shape of a man floated out of my room, the sleeves brushing against the wall as it moved. A blue orb glowed from the center of the material creating the blue streams of light.

My heart thudded at a new beat as it slowly made its way into the kitchen, ignoring my shaking form in the hallway.  Had it not seen me? The head moved back and forth as a solid hum echoed off the walls.

I horrible feeling seeped into the pit of my stomach as I realized what it was doing. With wobbly knees I followed it from only feet away, watching the cloak slowly levitate to the front door towards the dark wooden cross. It outstretched its arm, sending a beam of light towards the door, it’s humming becoming louder.

It would let him in.

“NO!” I shouted, covering my mouth quickly afterwards. The cloaks head whipped towards me, it’s blue orb brightening with anger. I backed until I hit the kitchen table my arms out in front of me. “STAY!” I told it, as it crept over to me, it’s humming sounding more like a scream than a song.

Before I could take another breath the cloak flew towards me and knocked me to the ground. It wrapped itself around my head, cutting off any hope of oxygen I had and pulled itself over my body. I tried to pull myself up onto the table, at the same time trying to pull the cloak off of my neck. It slowly tightened itself against my small figure. The ending material pooled around my feet, the hood completely draped over my face. I was blinded by the clothing and stumbled to find my equilibrium.  A cold swirl of wind crept along my bare feet, crawled up my legs, and spread throughout my chest and lungs as I struggled to reach for help. My screams were muted. The soaring pulse in my chest was at its fullest; my breaths were in short pants and sweat poured down my face. I continued to try and escape the cloak but it was like being in a large straight jacket.

I fell to the ground and my body starting to spasm. The lights of the kitchen flickered on and off, the walls shook with a tremendous amount of energy. The floor seemed to bounce from underneath me.

The cloak’s humming ended abruptly as I rolled over on my back to face the ceiling. Instead there was a dark sky, with dark storm clouds zipping past the moon. Understanding that I was no longer in my apartment, I sat up in a fog to see that I was situated in a dark parking lot. The scene seemed to be in fast motion, cars parking and unloading people, and then leaving as the owner returned with groceries until it became morning. The market was familiar, since it was the where my family got our food growing up. It was small, but had all of the necessities.

“It’s just a dream,” I told myself, turning 360 degrees around the area. Then why does it feel so…real?

A grey vehicle caught the corner of my eye. I turned to see the driver park only feet away from my position. Their hair was a wavy look to it, cut short at the neck in a stylish way. They fixed their blouse and opened the back door to carry out their child, whose hair was a lot curlier than the mother. The girl seemed to pout as her mother turned to get a nearby cart, her hand pressing against her stomach.

I frowned, and started to walk towards them like a robot. As the mother came around the car once again my jaw dropped. “Mom?”

She picked up the little girl, not even flinching at my call. The younger me ‘wooed’ as she sat in the shopping car, and hit the bars of it, her body bouncing with excitement. “Mommy, push me!” she screamed, having a voice that was a few octaves higher than my own.  Her eyes were large, light blue, her chubby cheeks slightly flushed from the warm air.