Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Mitch, I have to tell you something."

I shift so I can see Scott better, offering him a smile. The smile melts into a frown when I see his somewhat guilty expression. "Wh-what?" I ask timidly, afraid of the question as it passes my lips. Scott glances nervously around before his eyes finally focus on me. "I'm really sorry, but, uh . . . Ever since you got home from Gordon I've been having an affair. The police proclaimed you dead after a couple months of searching, Mitch, I had no idea you were still alive. So, I got with someone else. I'm sorry. I guess I've just fallen out of love with you."

I don't get mad. I don't start crying. I just stare at him, feeling my heart break into a million pieces. Slowly, I nod. "Th-that's alright. I-I understand. How c-could an-anyone love m-me anyway?"

+++

I slowly open my eyes and automatically reach my hand up to wipe away my tears. It's still dark out, and I can hear the gentle breathing of my sleeping partner next to me. I look over and see Scott, his arms still wrapped tightly around me, but I'm not on top of him anymore. I bite my lip to keep more tears from falling, letting my hand come out and caress his face. His eyes flutter open, and I curse internally.

Scott smiles at me, but then he sees my tears, and it morphs into a frown. "What's wrong, baby? Did you have another nightmare?" he asks softly, and I slowly nod. His frown deepens and he holds me tighter, kissing my forehead. "I'm sorry. Do you want to tell me what it was about?" Instead of answering his question, I sigh. "I-if you want t-to b-break up w-with m-me, that's f-fine. I-I'll un-understand," I say quietly. "Why on earth would I want to break up with you?"

"Be-because I'm n-not g-good enough f-for y-you."

Scott is silent for a while before he looks up at me, his eyes shining with tears. "Mitch, that's not true. I love you so, so much. If anything, I'm not good enough for you." I blink back the tears that are forming in my eyes, burrowing deeper into his arms. "I l-love you."

"I love you, too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK DONT HATE ME I KNOW HOW SHORT THIS CHAPTER IS

I'm really bad at writing fluff and I just couldn't think of anything else

This chapter is 600 words shorter than they usually are and for that I'm very very sorry

BUT

I hope you enjoyed anyway :)