-----------------

I packed only the important things that I was going to need to live. I haven't seen Motown since I was six years old, or the people in it. The thought of the Young family made me go to my closet, but not to retrieve anymore clothes, just the converse shoe box in the back of the closet I haven't touched in who knows how long. 

I sat down on the floor of the walk in closet, flipping open the lid on the shoe box and pulling out one of the many envelopes inside. It was addressed to me, from Brant Young, a friend I haven't spoken to in a while. I opened it with a smile, looking over the horribly drawn photo inside of us and the words you are beautiful written incorrectly in crayon. 

Tear drop stains had smudged the paper, tears I remember shedding too often growing up. I use to miss him like crazy, now I have no clue as to who Brant Young is. "Knock, knock..." I looked up, smiling at Jives who was in his pajamas instead of his normal professional looking suit. "I came to see if you needed help packing."

Jives grunted as he plopped down on the floor space next to me, his bones and joints popping before he reached the floor. Jives was only in his forties like my father, he wasn't nearly old, but he always complains about being old. "Jives" I softly sighed. "Am I a bad daughter?" 

"No" he instantly replied. "You're just trying to protect your father, there's nothing wrong with that." I hugged his arm, staring at the hand drawn picture on my lap. 

I had no clue as to what to expect when I returned to Motown. Ever since my mother was killed, it's like my brain has shut off memories of that time. I remembered Brant and his parents a little, but Brant was the only thing that really came to mind when I thought of Motown, Kentucky. "Everything is going to be alright" Jives told me with a uplifting smile. "You're Charlotte Jackson, daughter of Lillian Jackson, you're indestructible."

Jives had a point. My mother was the strongest woman to ever walk the face of this earth, there was nothing she couldn't overcome. Jives made me get up and pack, even if he was sad that I was leaving. He was the most amazing butler slash drive anyone could ever possibly have. Jives was a member of the family to me, one that I've never been able to drive away with my tomfoolery or mischievousness. I gotta give the man props, he's been through a lot with me and still loves me even if I was a mess. Yes, my butler loves me, but not in a romantic way. 

We packed my clothes, except for my delicates which I would pack later when he wasn't around. "You should head to bed, you have a pretty early flight" he reminded me. I was already in my pajamas, ready for bed but nervous about tomorrow. 

I crawled under my comforter, smiling when Jives made sure I was covered and gave my forehead a kiss. "Goodnight Charlotte. If you need me, you know where to find me."

I gave a nod, telling him good night as well. He turned out the light, leaving me to sleep even if I wasn't entirely ready to sleep. I sat up in bed and waited for my father's return like I do every night he goes out with his life sized Barbie doll. He was the only parent I had left, I'd be devastated if something happened to him.

For hours I stared at nothing but darkness, wondering if he was alright and if he was coming home soon. The door to my room opened and soon the lamp on my nightstand cut on. Jives gave a sad smile and took a seat next to me. "I'll wait with you."

He pulled me into his side for comfort, knowing that I was worried about my dad. My eyes grew weary around the one 'o' clock mark, but I forced them to stay open. I had to wait for him to come back, I just had to. Jives whispered that he was home in my ear when I was too zoned out to recognize it. He laid me over in bed and I was out like a light.

------------------

*Jives*

I cut off the bright pink lamp that resembled everything else in her room, making sure to be quiet as I crept out the door. Charlotte nor I understood her father's ways. Philip was a good man, and he did love Charlotte, which is why I didn't get why he would let Chanel pry in between them. Was he that desperate to forget Lillian, the love of his life?

I made my way towards the kitchen, feeling a little guilty that I had lied to Charlotte about her father returning. There's no telling how late they would be out tonight and her sleep was vital to me. Pretty much I've been taking care of Charlotte for eleven years, through the good and bad times. It started off with just driving her to school and singing to the radio with her when asked, then her mother passed and I prepared her meals, took care of her when her father couldn't make it home from a movie shoot in time, and of course gave her advice when needed. Seeing her so hurt, it was pretty hard for me. 

I pushed her cries from earlier out of my mind and fixed a pot of coffee not only for myself, but for Phillip when he returned home. Chanel has been extra whiney about wedding preparations and I had a feeling that he was going to need either the coffee or some scotch. 

The condo door opened just when I poured some coffee into a mug for myself. Chanel's irritatingly nasal voice screeched at my ears as she tried to seductively giggle at something Phillip said. Unfortunately the condo door led you straight to the kitchen where I was located. I couldn't help but roll my eyes when they entered in each others arms. 

"Can I stay over?" Chanel asked with a unattractive pout. Her Botox lips were just too much not to laugh at. My snicker escaped before I could catch it and she glanced over her shoulder at me. She scrunched up her nose in disgust and I scratched my forehead with my middle finger to tell her she wasn't my favorite person either. Everyone is entitled to be immature now and then.

"Of course you can stay over Nelly" Phillip replied in a cutesy tone that made me dry heave. It was so sickening to watch, especially with their hands all over each other. I had to look away before my dinner spewed all over the kitchen floor, which I would have to clean.

Chanel strutted by, her devious flirting eyes seductively looking over at Phillip before she headed to the bedrooms. Phillip grinned at the thought of what would be happening tonight and pulled off his bow tie.

"Where's Charlotte Jives?" he asked, heading for the coffee instead of the scotch. I was hoping tonight would've been terrible and he would've headed for the alcohol. 

"After waiting for you for hours, I finally lied about you being home when she was half asleep and she just recently went to bed" I replied. 

He sighed, taking a sip of his coffee that he just made. "Is she alright? She hates me, doesn't she?"

I scoffed, turning off the coffee maker and heading for the plate of brownies on the counter. I picked them up and handed the plate to him. "She doesn't hate you, she hates that you can't see Chanel is wrong for you and that you're letting her come between you and your daughter."

He shook his head, snatching a brownie off the plate and shoving it into his mouth. "I am not!" he mumbled through his bites. 

"Yes you are" I lowly growled. He glared at me, daring me to say more, so I did. "You don't even talk to her, much less spend any time with her. You're so wrapped up in movies, sex, and other stuff that doesn't matter as much that you don't even realize how much she loves you!!" 

He grabbed me by my shirt, his eyes blazing in rage. "Don't tell me that I don't know my own daughter!" he roared.

"I know her better than you do! It's been that way ever since Lillian's accident!" 

He shoved me away from him and I knew I struck a nerve by bringing her up. He won't talk about her, he won't even hang a picture of her up on the wall. "You're fired Jives!"

My mouth clamped closed at his words, realizing that by overstepping my boundaries I may have just lost everything. He smirked, bobbing his head in victory. Phillip had turned into a male version of Chanel. "Daddy! Are you insane!?!"

I looked to the kitchen door, sadly smiling when I saw Charlotte standing there with watering eyes. "Didn't I tell you to go to bed?" I quietly scolded. She let out a sad laugh, rushing over and hugging my side.

"I'm..I'm sorry Jives" Phillip said as he came out of his Chanel like state of mind and into his normal one again. He ran a hand through his hair and headed for the scotch in the cabinet. 

"Everyone just calm down" I ordered. "Charlotte, go to bed I need to talk to your father."

She tossed her arms around my neck, her eyes begging me with the puppy dog look as she said, "Carry me." I laughed and not so easily lifted her in my arms. "You.." I said pointed to Phillip. "Don't you dare leave this kitchen."  

Phillip sighed, nodding in response before taking a swig of his scotch. I carried the seventeen year old back to her bed, grunting when I finally tossed her onto the mattress and was able to stand up straight again.  "When you hit eighteen, anything that involves lifting you, count me out" I told her as I slowly straightened out my spine. For a moment she was able to laugh, that was until she remembered her father and I fighting. 

"Please Jives, don't leave."

I shook my head at her. She knew darn well I wasn't going anywhere until she was ready to move out on her on and blossom like a beautiful rose.  "Go to bed squirt" I grumbled with a half smile. "I promise I'll be here in the morning."

She stretched her arms up, motioning me to bring it in. I couldn't resist a special Charlotte hug, so I leaned down and gave her a quick one before ordering her to bed again. I swear I felt like a mother half of the time here. She finally listened and I rejoined her father in the kitchen where half the scotch was gone.

"I don't want her to go Phillip" he heavily sighed. "I don't want her to feel like I'm choosing Chanel over her, but she needs to face the facts that I need someone in my life..."

"But that isn't Chanel!" I breathed in exasperation. "Charlotte wants you to move on, but you can't see that Chanel isn't the one you're suppose to be moving on with."

I didn't know what else to tell him. He knew she wasn't the one, he knew she would never be what Charlotte needed in her life, but that was his way of protecting her from something tragic happening again. "If you keep hurting her like this, she'll leave and you'll never see her again."

He denied it, shaking his head in disagreement and slinging back more scotch. "She doesn't understand and you don't understand what's good for me, only I do. Now I love Chanel, so both you and Charlotte are just going to have to get over it."

He dropped the glass in the sink, not caring if it shattered or not. I watched his retreating back in disappointment. I'm going to be in hell while Charlotte is away, I just know I am. 

__________________________________________________________________

AN:)

I've never written a Prologue before, but here it is. First Chapter will be up in a couple of mintues!  Picture on the side is of Charlotte.. 

The cast so far is:

Charlotte- Kate Upton

Phillip- Jason Lewis

Chanel- Paris Hilton

Jives- Bradley Cooper

Niona- Malese Jow