Happy Birthday

Spencer was sitting against the windowsill watching the rain fall heavily from the sky.

She was flipping through an old photo album, remembering joyful memories of her childhood.

"Happy Birthday mom," Spencer says aloud. "I miss you more than you could ever imagine." She whispers.

She wipes a tear from her face and slams the book closed before throwing it across the room.

She sits in the chair for a few more moments before she hears a faint knock at the door.

She slowly slips out of the chair and makes her way towards the front door.

To her surprise, Toby is standing on her front porch soaking wet, holding up two bags of takeout.

Toby invites himself in and places the bags on the counter.

"Aw, Spence." Toby says as he caresses her cheek and wipes a stray tear from her face.

"It was supposed to be moms birthday today." Spencer says before letting more tears fall down.

"Come here." Toby says as he tries to pull her into a hug.

"But you're wet!" Spencer laughs between cries.

"It made you smile though." Toby says with a sincere smile.

Toby plants a quick kiss in Spencer's lips instead. Spencer smiles.

"I feel better already." She says with a smile.

"I brought some takeout, I thought we could watch a movie or something." Toby says as he begins to unpack the food.

"You need some dry clothes!" Spencer exclaims.

"I'll just sit by the fire and dry off." Toby says shrugging it off.

"I'm not going to let my boyfriend stay in wet clothes! I could lend you some of dad's clothes." Spencer says as she begins to make her way upstairs.

"Spence I couldn't-"

"I insist, Toby. Come on." She continues her way up the stairs. In defeat, Toby follows.

They make their way into the master bedroom, where everything has been left untouched since the accident.

Spencer makes her way into the huge walk-in closet and comes back with some of her dad's more casual clothes.

"I'm sorry, my dad never really new what going "casual" meant." Spencer says as she hands Toby a polo shirt and khaki pants.

Toby takes the clothes from Spencer and gives her a concerned look.

"Are you okay with me wearing your dads clothes?" He asks.

Spencer takes a deep breath before answering.

"I'm totally okay with you wearing my dads clothes."

Toby smiles.

"Just bring down your wet clothes when you're done, I'll wash them for you." She says before leaving.

"You're going to be a good mother, Spencer." Toby says to himself before closing the door.

"TOBY! FOODS GETTING COLD!" Spencer yells from the kitchen.

"COMING!" Toby replies.

Toby comes jogging down the stairs with his wet clothes in his hands.

"Perfect." Spencer says as she takes the clothes from his hand. "I'll go put them in the wash."

"You're an amazing girlfriend!" Toby yells at Spencer as she enters the laundry room.

"I know!" She yells back.

After she puts his clothes in the wash she grabs a plate of food and the two of them sit on the couch and eat.

They eat most of their meal in silence.

"What was your mom like?" Toby asks breaking the silence.

Spencer places her plate down on the coffee table and faces Toby.

"She was super bossy. And do I ever mean super. She always wanted me to follow in Melissa's footsteps. I never heard the end of it," Spencer pauses and looks down at the floor.

"But she was always there when I needed her. She always helped me with schoolwork, projects, even student government speeches. She was really quite amazing. I uh-bought her a birthday cake." Spencer says with a sad giggle.

"She sounds amazing." Toby replies.

"She was...but Melissa," Spencer shakes her head laughing. "Don't get me started on Melissa."

Toby grabs a blanket from behind the couch and puts it over himself and Spencer.

She leans in closer and snuggles up to his side.

"I'm glad you're here." She whispers.

"Me too." Toby says before kissing the top of her head.

Spencer smiles.

"I love you." She coos.

"I love you, more." Toby responds.

"Impossible."

Toby smiles at her response.

They cuddle on the couch and watch the fire roar within the fireplace.

"Would you move away with me?" Spencer says out of the blue.

"I'd go anywhere with you...why?" Toby asks.

"I want to leave Rosewood the minute I graduate. Too many bad things have happened here," Spencer sits up to face Toby in the eyes.

"I can't afford to lose anyone else I care about." Spencer states.

Toby kisses Spencer.

"First Allison, then Mona, then my family..." Spencer trails off.

"You're never going to lose me." Toby says as he pulls Spencer closer. "I always be by your side."

Spencer woke up in her own bed, with a familiar arm wrapped around her torso.

She glances out the window and notices it's about mid-day. 

"Morning beautiful." Toby says half asleep.

"It's more like afternoon," she replies with a giggle. "How did I get to bed?" Spencer asks with a laugh. "I don't remember much after you agreed to move away with me."

Toby fights off the sleep and sits up.

"I carried you to bed and right before I left you asked me to stay with you until you fell asleep...so I did. I guess I fell asleep waiting for you!"

Spencer looks up at the ceiling.

"Oh yeah! You almost dropped me going up the stairs!" Spencer giggles.

"I. Did. No. Such. Thing!" Toby defends.

"Uh huh." Spencer laughs before throwing a pillow at Toby.

"Oh it's one, Hastings. You just challenged the pillow fight King." He says as she jumps out of bed.

"That's funny! Because I'm the Queen!" Spencer yells before running away from Toby.