6.0

josh

a ding from my phone notifies me that i've got a message. i reach for my phone, but ashley gets there first.

"c'mon, josh." her voice hinted with agitation. "no phones while we talk... please." she drags out the last word and gives me a pouty face.

"but what if it's tyler," i argued.

"babe," she places her hands on mine, creating a sandwich with her and the top of the table. "he's fine."

probably looking unconvinced, she added, "i promise."

i sigh. "fine."

ashley would get so clingy and anxious every time i would mention tyler. i may love him, but i love him as a friend... nothing more.

i hated this. we were in the same coffee shop as tyler and i were just a week ago. it was like deja vu... or more of a nightmare.

"no, you're the one who's scared of your sexuality!" he clawed at his neck.

am i?

no, I couldn't be gay... that'd be crazy. there's no way i could like tyler more of a friend. i mean he is cute when he blushes. oh, and even when he's drunk, i think of him as the cutest being ever.

"i love you as a friend. i don't want to loose you." i strain out, hoping tyler would calm down. instead, he dropped his shoulders and shook out of my grasp. he fast walked to the front door, but stopped and turned towards my shaking body.

"no friend blushes at a beautiful man like you, josh," he walks out the glass doors, leaving me speechless.

maybe he's right...

another ding from my phone snaps me back to ashley and i's little date.

"ashley," i beg. "i need my phone. tyler could be in trouble."

"you know what, you always talk about him!"

uh, oh.

she talks in a mocking tone, "tyler this. tyler that. tyler needs help... well, maybe I need help! did you ever think of that? no, you didnt."

"look, ashley. he's my friend. nothing more. I'm not gay. he could be in trouble." i hold on her hands. "please, darling."

ashley sighs, annoyance in her voice. she hands me my phone, which is bright with notifications from tyler.

i stand up immediately and run out the door without a goodbye or explanation. i hop in my car and speed away to wherever tyler is.