The dark and stormy night

Start from the beginning

Angel looked up at Brooklyn. "Are we going to open it?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.

Brooklyn bent down onto his haunches and stroked his hand over the fine oak wood. "Why not?" He asked and made to open it. Inside was a piece of paper, Angel saw, but once Brooklyn took it out, she realized it was a picture.

"What the hell?" Angel asked, her eyebrows creasing together. She bent down next to Brooklyn, tucking her tangled hair behind her ears.

Brooklyn held the picture up and they both stared. It was of the two of them sitting on the beach and staring at the sand, holding each other just a few minutes ago. It was a Polaroid. The two shared an uneasy glance with each other. Brooklyn turned the picture around and they saw that there was writing on it. Angel squinted closer to read it.

Remember this moment, because it just might be your last happy one. Not that this was particularly happen in any case. I'm watching, and I'm preparing to strike.

Angel couldn't breathe. She looked over her shoulder and to her left and then to her right and then again to her left. She felt herself shudder and gulped. Brooklyn put the picture down on the sand and picked up the box, examining it. He set it down again. "That's all," he whispered.

Angel moved closer to him, scanning the area around her once again. "Brooklyn," she whispered, her voice wavering. "We're closer to the truth, he or she is threatening us."

He stared silently at her and nodded his head. He picked up the Polaroid and stuffed it into his pants pocket. "Let's go, we shouldn't be out here."

💧💧💧💧💧

After Angel and Brooklyn went back up to the house, the atmosphere has gotten frighteningly eery. Angel constantly felt like she was being watched and felt herself getting a fright at any branch cracking or clothes flapping on the washing line. By the time they reached the house, the party was over. Aunty Maria was busy cleaning up. She looked up from folding up a table cloth and spotted them. She smiled. "Oh, where were you two?" She winked.

Angel and Brooklyn glanced at each other, they're eyes still stretched. They looked back at Maria. "We went for a walk," Brooklyn answered. "But it's quite late now, we ought to go to sleep." Angel nodded her head in agreement.

Maria smiled. "You should get some rest, tomorrow's flight is quite early."

Angel and Brooklyn said goodnight to Maria and made their way inside. Angel was so frightened that she didn't think twice before asking if she could sleep by him.

That night, the two of them laid in Brooklyn's bed. Both stared up at the ceiling, silent. Angel's head swirled with thoughts of Dahlia, Brad, Brooklyn and the person harassing them. She was properly freaked out. Both of them didn't sleep a wink.

Now they were in Brooklyn's car, just as silent, driving to Angel's flat back in Fynbos City. Earlier on their flight back to South Africa, Brooklyn offered Angel to come stay over at his house for now. Angel felt ashamed that she couldn't sleep by herself, but didn't protest. He told her that it's for both their safety, since they've realized how serious this has all become. The realization hit Angel with a pang every time. This person will kill me she thought to herself, yet she kept reminding herself that finding this person and the truth is something she just has to do.

"Here we are," Brooklyn said and Angel smiled over at him.

"Thanks, Brook," she said and opened the car door.

Brooklyn opened the car window. "I'll pick you up at 6."

Angel waved as he departed and fumbled for her keys in her carry bag. She barely put the key in its hole when she heard Hillary squeal with delight next to her.