Chapter 3: Hey, Mr. Steroid!

Start from the beginning

It was bound to be a day full of hell.

“I’ll be there in two.” I clicked the phone shut, before giving the guard at the front of the gate a beep. He gave me a nod in recognition before allowing me through the entrance. I whizzed through the driveway, skidding slightly as I curved around the amorous fountain my brother was so proud of in the middle of his driveway.  Before I could even park the car Valentine appeared in front of the vehicle, a set of dark sunglasses over his eyes, and a large bandage around his forearm, and a frown stuck between his brows.

I cut the engine and got out of the vehicle. “What’s up?”

His jaw stayed clenched, his arms crossed over his chest. I stood in front of him beginning to mock his serious expression. “So, how’s Blondie?” he started, his voice empty of emotion.

My shoulders slacked, and I put my fingers over the bridge of my nose. He knew. He knew about the deal. “Shit.” I put my hands on my hips, flashing him an uneasy smile. “I uh—yeah I kind of sold her.”

A tight smile lined Valetine's lips as he muttered, “Really.” The response was dry and extremely heavy with sarcasm. His blue eyes were level with mine as he said, “And what exactly has happened to you, little brother, to allow you to make such a determining decision?”

I cleared my throat, trying to think of a specific reason. The truth was, I didn’t have a specific reason besides the fact that I was lazy, and she was blonde. I opened my mouth to make something up. “I—“

He whipped out his arm, pointing to the bandage. “Guess what this is,” he said his eyes wide. I eyed the bandage with curiosity. It was small, but obviously caused enough damage that there was bleeding.

“You’re bleeding? Have you not fed?”

“That’s not what I asked,” Valentine pointed out, his blue eyes still crazy. “I was bit on the arm, Dimitri. I was bit.”

I smirked. “Oh my, a bite from a lady vampire? Who?”

He stared at me for the longest time before confessing, “Uh-uh,” he said, shaking his head as if that was the far from the real answer. “ I was bit by her. I was bit by the little monster in my slave basement dangling from furry handcuffs. You know what else she did? She also socked in the crotch twice, within one day. Do you know how that feels, bro?” he spat, acting like his usual splenetic self.

“And…?”
“What do you mean and? The little bitch bit my arm and wouldn’t let go! It was like she was half shark! I couldn’t get her off of me!” When I didn’t immediately respond his eyelid twitched, making him seem more psychotic than before. I started to debate whether to hit him in the head with a baseball bat to end his misery.

“You need to relax, you’re starting to scare me.”

His expression calmed as he took a slow breath through his nose and out his mouth. “Sorry,” he said, scratching the stubble on his jaw. “My point is no matter how much that little…” he searched for the word while blowing air quickly out of his mouth. He sat up straight, preparing himself to start over the sentence. “No matter how much that little Vermin-girl is pushing and pulling at my nerves, she’s still at my house because I’m sticking with our agreement. You can't just get out of this, Dimitri.”

I sat on the hood of my car. “I—“

“Dimitri.” His expression grew serious. “I need you. You’re the best ally I have against Brutus. I’m sorry if you’re having some difficulties with the girl but—“he motioned at his arm and added,  “So am I.”

I huffed out a breath. “I know, I would have gotten her back at some point.”

“Not if you signed a damn contract,” he snarled. “Some of the things you do are so idiotic. It’s mind boggling—“