twenty six || elver

Elver grimaced when he saw the film. It was one Cathy had watched many a time when she was younger and one that Elver had always managed to avoid. Cathy had the opposite reaction, though her grin soon fell and she groaned, throwing her arm over her forehead.

“How do I work this thing?” Alaska asked, fiddling with the buttons on the DVD player.

“Here, let me.” Elver crouched down and squinted. They reached for the same button at the same time. Their hands touched but Alaska didn’t move. She left her finger on top of his for a second or two before she came to her senses and pressed play. Cathy was struggling to stay awake, no matter how much she wanted to see the film.

Alaska curled up in the corner of the sofa and Elver sat between the two of them. The movie started and Elver couldn’t bear to look at the screen.

“What’re you doing?” Alaska asked, confused. Elver was staring into his lap, fascinated by the scuff marks on his knees.

“Nothing,” he said.

“You’re not watching,” Cathy accused.

“Yes I am,” Elver said lamely. “It just hasn’t started yet.”

“Yes, it has,” Alaska said. She paused the film. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Elver said.

“Oh my God,” Alaska said, realisation dawning upon her. “Is it because there are fish?”

Elver said nothing – it was his undoing. Alaska burst into a fit of giggles and pressed play.

“It’s a cartoon, Elver,” she said. “They’re not real, you know.”

“I know,” he said with a frown. “I’ve seen it before.”

“Oh yeah? When?” Cathy butted in. “You haven’t.” She turned to Alaska. “He hasn’t. He always avoids it.”

“I’m right here, you know. Don’t talk about me like that.”

Cathy chose that moment to run out of the room, making it to the toilet just in time to throw up.

“You alright?” Elver asked as she came back in, wiping her mouth with a tissue.

“No,” she said flatly.

“I’m sorry,” Elver said, putting his arm round her.

“Don’t touch me, you’ll catch it,” Cathy grunted, wriggling out of her brother’s grip. Elver just nodded and stretched his arms out behind him. When he brought them back down, one caught on Alaska’s shoulder. He panicked – he didn’t want to seem rude if he moved it and knew he was pushing it to leave it there, but he did. Alaska didn’t do a thing. Elver smiled to himself. Cathy was almost out of it and didn’t notice. Fifteen minutes into the film, she dropped off. Elver glanced at Alaska. Her eyes were trained on the screen, following Flounder’s every move. The little fish was reflected in her blue irises. Elver found he didn’t mind the creature so much when it was in Alaska’s eyes.

Alaska put her hand on Elver’s knee. “You know, you made me get in your car,” she said.

“What’re you getting at?”

“You need to watch the film. Or else.”

“What’s the else?”

“I make you swim. In the sea.”

Elver shuddered and slowly raised his head to the screen. Alaska grinned smugly. “I really don’t like this film,” he said.

“I really don’t like cars,” she retorted, holding Elver’s head in place, staring at the screen. He closed his eyes and she poked his cheek.

Two Fishजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें