thirty five || alaska

Alaska scoured the menu while she waited for her parents to arrive. She, Noah and Minnie had spent the day with their grandmother and now were waiting at Roses until their parents joined them. There was to be a celebratory dinner to congratulate Mr Gouramie for securing a big deal. While he hadn’t disclosed the details, he had told his children that it would keep them comfortable for a little while longer.

Minnie had gone to the loo and Alaska had nothing to say to her younger brother: all conversation had been exhausted within a couple of minutes of sitting down, so now she sipped her coke through a straw and stared at the long list of fancy food. Noah was on his phone, occasionally slurping his lemonade.

When she eventually looked up from the menu, she saw Elver, standing a couple of metres away. He was staring. She smiled at him.

“Hi, Elver,” she said, putting the menu down. He wasn’t smiling. “Are you ok?”

“I, uh,” he mumbled, glancing at Noah.

“Oh, this is Noah,” she said. “You know, my brother.”

Noah looked up. “Yeah, we’ve already met.”

Elver’s face cleared and his eyes brightened. He laughed. “Oh, thank goodness. I didn’t recognise you.” He turned to Alaska. “I kind of thought you had a boyfriend.”

It was Noah’s turn to laugh. “Uh, no way. Who’d date her?”

Alaska swatted his arm with the menu. “Don’t be rude,” she said. Minnie returned from the loo and sat down, but not before she gave Elver the once over. Alaska tried to sip her coke elegantly but she inhaled and spluttered. Minnie whacked her back harder than necessary and Alaska dabbed her mouth. “Why’re you here?”

“It’s Mum’s birthday,” he said, motioning to his family. Alaska grinned and waved at Cathy, whose return of the gesture prompted her parents to turn around. “How about you?”

“Dad landed a deal. We’re celebrating, but they’re not here yet.” She looked around the restaurant.

“Yeah, when’re they getting here?” Minnie asked. She twirled her straw in her glass of tap water. “I’m starving.”

“Any minute. I just texted them.”

As she spoke, her phone pinged with a text from her mother.

“What’d she say?” Minnie asked, peering over her sister’s shoulder.

“They’re here.”

“I, uh, I should go then,” Elver said. It was hot in the restaurant and behind Alaska’s grin, she was uncomfortable. Elver picked up on it, despite her trying to keep it under wraps. “Are you ok?” he mouthed. She nodded.

“Maybe see you later?” she asked, her hope clear in her voice.

“Maybe see you later,” he said.

Alaska watched Elver leave, her heart fluttering. Noah glanced up from his screen only for a moment, as his parents reached the table.

“So, that’s your boyfriend?” he asked, smirking.

“Who’s whose boyfriend?” Mr Gouramie asked. He sat down in the booth next to Alaska, making sure he left her plenty of space.

“That guy is Alaska’s boyfriend,” Noah said, pointing at Elver’s retreating figure.

“Oh, Elver?” Mrs Gouramie asked. She grinned and smoothed down her hair. “Lovely boy. Don’t knock him,” she told her son.

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Alaska said, though she faltered.  

“He might as well be,” Noah said. “Did you see his face when he realised I’m just your brother?” He chuckled and finished his lemonade. “He’s got dibs on you.”

“What’re dibs?” Mr Gouramie asked, switching his eyes from the menu to his children. Alaska glowered at her brother. Minnie was glad to pipe up.

“Basically, they might as well be dating,” she said. “Given the amount of time they spend together.”

“I’ve heard,” he said.

“What?”

“Your mother’s been telling me. It’s good to hear you’re getting out of the house, Lassie.” His finger rested on his meal of choice, something with chicken. He spent his long days at work, oblivious to his oldest child’s antics. “What’s this boy like?”

“He’s charming,” his wife said. “Really, a wonderful guy. You’d like him, Harry.”

Alaska found herself suddenly very interested in the menu again, until a waitress came over to take their order. Once she had left, conversation turned to Mr Gouramie’s big deal win. Alaska was glad for the distraction. She was overenthusiastic in her congratulations for her father. His lips twisted into a smile he tried to suppress.

“What?” Alaska asked.

“You’re trying to ignore the fact that sooner or later, you’re going to have to talk about Elver. Because, you know, I will ask.”

“You really don’t need to. Mum’s already said enough.” Alaska downed the last of her coke and her eyes wandered to Elver’s table. He was wiping the last remainder of his burger off his chin. She caught his eye but looked away before anyone could make a point of it.

“Lassie,” Minnie said.

“Yeah?”

“Can I be your bridesmaid?” She grinned and slowly sipped her tepid water. Alaska kicked her under the table and Minnie knew better than to make a scene in a crowded restaurant.

It was getting hotter and busier as the evening carried on. Elver was eating his pudding as Alaska hurried through her main course. She was beginning to feel a bit dizzy, a familiar feeling she always dreaded.

“Are you ok, Lassie?” her mother asked, her face riddled with worry.

“I, uh, I need some fresh air,” she said, pushing her chair back. Her mother nodded understandingly.

“Ok. You go outside. We’ll be right here when you come back, sweetie. Do you want me to come with you?”

Alaska shook her head and left, fanning herself. It was a cool evening with a gentle breeze rustling the trees and Alaska calmed down instantly. She sat on a bench outside the restaurant and closed her eyes, leaning her head back and breathing deeply.

The bench bowed when Elver sat next to her. She knew it was him from his aftershave, from his slow footsteps and his sigh when he sat down. She didn’t need to open her eyes to know it was his hand on hers.