ten || elver

Elver practically skipped down the stairs, jumping two at a time.

“Cathy. Cathy, Cathy.” He knocked frantically on his younger sister’s door.

“What?” Cathy groaned, opening it up.

“Cathy, Alaska’s asked if I want to go and meet her at the park,” said Elver, grinning like a maniac. Cathy’s eyes brightened a little and the corners of her mouth climbed up to her ears.

“Really? That’s brilliant.” Cathy smiled, pleased for her older brother.

“What should I wear? What should I take?” Elver was getting a little over excited.

 “Jesus, Elver, calm down, you sound like a girl who’s just been invited to prom,” Cathy said, half annoyed, half amused. “Just wear what you always wear. Don’t dress up or you’ll look desperate, and don’t take anything either.”

“Should I breathe?” asked Elver sarcastically.

“All I’m saying is don’t get your hopes up, she might just need a friend,” said Cathy. “Or perhaps apologise for acting like an ass.”

“Then why didn’t she invite one of her friends from school? And she’s not an ass.”

“Maybe she doesn’t have any, and she sounded like one.”

“Trust me, Alaska will have friends.” He squinted and jabbed Cathy with his finger. “Spiky little friends.”

“Fine, just don’t make a big deal out of this,” Cathy half demanded, pointing at her brother. Elver smiled and rushed back upstairs for a wash before snuggling into bed for an early night. 

He woke early – for him: it was nearly eleven – the next morning with the bubbly sensation you get in your stomach when you see a stocking full of presents on Christmas morning. He ran a brush through his hair and pulled out some decent clothes, nothing too fancy. He buttered some toast and glugged down a glass of apple juice before setting off.

Alaska was already waiting for him on the bench near the pond, holding two huge ice creams with sprinkles and chocolate sauce.

“Hi,” she said as Elver sat down next to her.

“Hi. Sorry I’m late.”

“No, I’m sorry Elver, I was a bit of a cow to you, so here’s my apology present.” Alaska gave him a sad smile along with one of the ice cream. Elver smiled back and took it gratefully.

“There’s no need to be sorry, we all have our moments,” he said, inelegantly slurping the melting ice cream off his fingers.

“Why are you so nice? You make me feel even more guilty,” Alaska said. “Can’t you just be mean?”

“Wow, looks like the ice queen is melting,” Elver joked. Alaska gave him a playful nudge on the shoulder and held out her hand. “At least, your ice cream is melting.”

“Friends?” she asked. Elver pretended to hesitate, looking up and frowning

“Friends,” he eventually agreed. The two sat there in a comfortable silence for a while, watching the world go by and savouring each golden moment.

“I don’t mean to be so mean,” Alaska said suddenly. “It’s hard wired into me. Most people don’t get it.” She was halfway to telling Elver everything, but it was too soon.

“Everyone has their moments,” Elver comforted. “I can be really idiotic.”

“Not as idiotic as I was.”

“Hey, don’t blame yourself, forget about it.” Elver realised he was actually talking to her without an ‘er’ or a ‘well’ interrupting his sentence; he felt comfortable with her and smiled.

“Why are you smiling like that?” Alaska asked.

“Why not?”

“Because you’re smiling like a weirdo,” she said, and Elver blushed.

“Sorry,” he muttered.

“Is sorry your favourite word or something?” Alaska said.

“Well, it’s probably the word I use most,” Elver replied. The two of them laughed for a short moment, and then stopped.

“It’s a sign you’re doing something wrong if you have to apologise so much.”

“I’m clumsy.”

“Oh well. You’re alright, Elver,” she said, licking her ice cream.

“You’re not too bad yourself,” Elver said, although inside he was feeling warm and smiley – Alaska liked him, or close enough.

“And you’re a cheeky …” Alaska trailed off, trying to think of a rude name to call Elver.

Elver grinned. There was nothing cruel she could say to him, nothing true, at least. She checked her watch.

“Damn it, have you seen the time? It’s nearly four. We’ve been sitting here for hours. My mum will kill me.”

“I’m starving, I’ve had toast and ice cream today and that’s it. How about we grab something to eat? Nothing serious, just a chippy,” Elver said hopefully. Alaska hesitated then nodded slowly. They walked down to the local fish-and-chip shop together, talking about annoying parents and teachers. Elver chose each word carefully, not wanting to talk about Cathy. The two got on so well and it would be awkward if he said something bad about her, and it got out.

“My brother’s a total geek,” Alaska said. “He only ever comes down for mealtimes. And my sister, total diva. She drives me insane.”

“I have a sister, Cathy,” Elver started. “We’re really close and to be honest, we never argue much at all.” He thought Alaska might be shocked, but she just gave him a sad smile.

“I wish I could say the same about Minnie.”

The conversation lasted all the way to the chippy and back to Elver’s car, eating as they walked. At so awkward a time to be eating, they just shared a portion of chips

“I’ve had a good time,” Elver said, plucking up all his courage. “Maybe I could see you around another time?”

“I never knew how much fun sitting on a bench could be,” Alaska said, almost sarcastically. Elver ignored the tone.

“I could give you a lift,” he offered.

Alaska shook her head, “No thanks, I’ll walk.”

“Sure?”

“Positive.” Alaska turned on her heel and began the walk back to her house. Elver leant against his car for a minute or two, watching her walk away. Her slow walk and bowed head didn’t match her snappy personality, he noticed. She tucked her hands into her pockets and took up as little space as possible. She looked like she needed a hug and he thought maybe, just maybe, this could work out.