'Keep close John,' Sem shouted and turned to face his hiding spot. 'This could get a little fucking tasty.'

John cursed once under his breath and left the safety of the bins, jogging towards the strange group and shaking his head. 'How did you know I was there?'

Sem smiled. 'I'm your guardian angel John, I know where you are at all times.' Fifteen turned to John and Sem. 'You must go now Sal-Si. Blink out John, the Visceral arrive.'

John was about to speak, but Sem covered his mouth and scowled at Fifteen. 'We don't run, and just what the fuck is a Visceral?'

A rip tore through the atmosphere in the alley ahead of them. The wind picked up, sucking everything into the darkness of the tear.

'The Visceral are pure fighters, sons and daughters of O, the warrior devil.' Fifteen sounded reverent but unafraid. 'It is they who trained us Sentinels in all forms of combat.'

John looked at the large men again and whispered in Sem's ear. 'What are Sentinels?'

Sem slapped Fifteen on the back and looked back to John. 'They used to be Hell's servants, but not anymore.' She smiled and winked, her gold tooth sparkling in the light.

Sem spat on the floor. 'I don't run from a fight.' She summoned God's Justice, the colossal angelic sword a future John had gifted her. 'Ever.' The beautiful armour across her shoulders and arms glinted in the lamp-lit street. The Sentinels moved in a protective formation around Sem and John.

Out of the rift stepped a man dressed in a one-shouldered robe similar to a Buddhist monk's, except black and silken. His brows were wrinkled, but his skin was free of the splotches age often cursed men with. His smooth head caught the lamplight, and his dark eyes glowed with something sinister. He looked around the dirty back street and smiled. That smile chilled John.

The Visceral's gaze dropped to the Sentinels before him. 'Ah children,' he said in a low, soft voice. 'You are all far from home. Come back to us. We can forgive your slights and start anew.'

John wasn't sure what to make of this man with his hands folded before him, speaking humbly to the Sentinels. Was he really a threat? He seemed mild, still there was that horrific chill John felt crawling across his skin whenever he looked at the man's eyes.

Fifteen spoke. 'We are not your children any more Visceral scum, our fate is in our own hands now. Twelve has shown us the way.'

The Visceral nodded, but the acquiescence had left his eyes. 'As you wish. Had you the sight anymore you would know that this is your death day.'

Fifteen nodded. 'If it is, then it is God's will, not yours.'

The Visceral locked eyes with the Angel and advanced with measured steps, his hands still folded before him. Sem studied the Visceral's gait. He was graceful and balanced.

She shook her head and muttered, 'This is gonna get fucking fruity John, get ready to Blink out.' She rolled her shoulders and sliced the sword through the air, it hummed in anticipation.

John brought his hand over to his jacket pocket, the familiar feel of the album wasn't there. 'Shit!' He searched his other pockets frantically.

The Visceral broke into a run, he stretched out his right hand and a staff materialised in it. The four Sentinels stepped forward as one, and attacked as one. The Visceral dodged every blow and kick, at times almost bending double to avoid the strikes.

John was mesmerised by the Visceral's movements. With poise and grace he deftly avoided all strikes, throwing the Sentinels all over the alley as they attacked again and again. Its eyes weren't even on the fight, they were locked on Sem.