Part Two

"Crap," John mumbled to himself as he spilled a bit of his caramel latte down the side of his cup and onto his hand. He was comfortably seated at his favorite table in his favorite coffee shop in Manhattan; he had decided he was going to stick to this shop for a while, and not venture too far out anymore. He rose from his seat and walked to the self service station to grab a couple of napkins and wiped down his cup and hands. As he made his way back to his table, his eyes wandered, as they usually did, around his fellow customers. "Crap," he heard himself mumbled once again. In the short time he had spent away from his table, someone had sat down at the neighboring table, and that person was none other than the boy John had had the embarrassing run-in with the previous day: Hamilton. 'Just my luck,'  John sighed as he walked past Hamilton, he sipped his coffee, praying Hamilton wouldn't notice him; he was sure Hamilton would waste no opportunity to deck him in the face.

Now seated at his table, he eyed Hamilton from his new vantage point. The boy had his eyes fixed on his laptop as his hand feverishly moved over the keys. However, John was startled when he realized the boy was wearing the exact outfit he had been wearing the previous day, coffee stain and all. John was entranced with the boy, staring at him intently, trying to figure him out. Then, Hamilton looked up to take a sip from his coffee, and made eye contact with John. 'The universe must really hate me,' John thought, mentally slapping his forehead, as he heard the other boy say, "The universe must really love me."

"I have been really regretting what happened yesterday, how I acted. I had accepted the fact that I wouldn't be able to apologize, but here you are. What are the odds! So I'm sorry. I'm not usually like that. I hope I can make it up to you," Hamilton was speaking a million words a minute, obviously caught up in a caffeine-induced firestorm. Now, Hamilton was the one offering his hand to John.

John slowly took his hand and lightly shook it, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. He read Hamilton's eyes, which were a dark, swirling brown and accented by massive bags, showing Hamilton's exhausted state; John could find nothing malevolent there, only hopeful kindness, so he said, "It's fine," so soft it was almost a whisper.

"Great! My name is Hamilton. Alexander Hamilton," he flashed a goofy smile and, to John's slight annoyance, pulled his chair over to join John at his table, bring his laptop and crinkled papers with him.

"I'm, uh," John really didn't know how to answer. He decided his name was a good start. "I'm John Laurens."

"I'm sorry. For my lack of boundaries, I mean. I've been up all night, and this is my fifth double espresso since about nine last night," Alexander gestured to his cup. "But, I am also sorry for what happened yesterday."

"I said it was fine," to say John was confused would be a understatement. He was still a little weary of the disheveled boy that was sitting across from him.

"No, no, it's not fine. Please, let me explain," Alexander looked ready to launch on a tirade. John gestured with his hand, giving his permission. "I like to think I am actually a fairly alright person. Those guys I hang out with are vicious, they jump at the opportunity to tear people up. So, naturally, I had to go along with that act when you knocked me down yesterday. You see, I have to try my hardest to fit in with them because I'm different, and it helps me to be in with them. Hard to explain and it doesn't really matter, actually. I hope you don't think I'm one of those 'easily influenced' or 'fake' people. Really, I did it for you," Hamilton had been ranting to the table, not making eye contact with the boy across the table from him, but with his last sentence, he raised his head and offered John a soft smile.

John couldn't explain why, but when Alexander smiled at him, his walls crumbled. His eyebrows knitted together as he gave Alexander a quizzical look. "For me?" he asked, trying to sound more doubtful than hopeful.