sentimental journey. | 1940's steve rogers and bucky barnes

Summary: Your two life long friends have a little surprise for you.
Word Count: 1813

"Buck, what's in that box?

"Buck, what's in that box?." You say walking slowly behind his quick pace in order to keep Steve close by. He always hated seeing everyone walking past him so quickly.

"You'll see." Bucky said keeping his same pace but turning around to meet your eyes with his  blue ones. Every time he looked at you, your heart raced. You loved that man and he loved you, you made each other whole. He turned back around snapping you out of your trance.

"Where we even going anyways?" You groan.

"Trust me, you'll love it." Steve says from next to you obviously out of breath, but being Steve showed no signs of pain.

"Oh so Steve knows what's happening but I don't?" You say annoyed from this 30 minute journey so far by foot.

"Quit complainin' will ya." Bucky said speeding up and turning a corner onto a little wooden bridge that entered the forest.

What on earth? Where are we going? The three of you continued through the forest breaking sticks and crunching leaves under your feet. The autumn breeze brushed your arms and ears. It was a really beautiful day. The leaves on all the trees were just beginning to turn and each seemed to be touched by the golden hand of Fall. Soon you were enclosed from the outside sound of everything. No more cars, no more factories, no more people other than you, Steve, and Bucky.

"Ok shut your eyes and take my hand." Bucky said.

You reached out for his hand and shut your eyes and breathed in. You followed his steps keeping your eyes shut. It felt great, being out here that is. You missed it. Missed the days when you weren't caught up in work and the war. The war was great for you though, without it you would still be living on the streets with your mother. She's healthy again, you're working now, but you wish it was not as hard. You wish people didn't have to leave. You wish no one had to die for the war. You wish your two best friends didn't want to leave so you much. Without them you would feel alone. You would have no one. Maybe you should join the WAAC or the WAVES or even the WASPS like all those women on the posters tell you to, but you can't. You have to stay home and build and build and build those guns. You have to stay home and care for your mom. You have only her without Steve and Bucky. She would be broken with you gone too. You felt a rough thumb on your cheek and you open your eyes feeling the warm tear being wiped off your face by Bucky. He looked into your eyes knowing what you were thinking and rubbed your shoulder.

"Don't worry." He said a faint smile showing over the slight pain in his eyes. "We're here now." You looked down at Steve standing next to him and smiled earning a warm smile from him.

"Turn around." He said. You turned around and felt your breath disappear. In front of you was a huge tree. A tree that brought so many memories so many great memories. You felt your feet slowly take you towards the tree and your hand rise up and place a palm on the trunk. You took your hand and walked around the trunk following the perimeter until you found a small patch of barkless wood. Squatting down you found the three names and traced them with your finger.