Chapter Four

**orphanage, four years later**

Killian's POV

As time went on, Emma and I got closer and closer. I'd say we are best friends, but I've grown more...fond of her. I don't see her liking me back like that however. A few weeks ago the house took in another kid, a boy, named Neal. It seemed like he and Emma clicked as soon as he got here. We've been talking less and less since he got here, I just can't stand him. He's taking my best friend. I walk down one morning to see the two of them fooling around in the kitchen, and I quietly grabbed toast and left quickly, not wanting to watch for another minute. I walk back up the stairs, grumbling to myself and slam my door in the process. I hear someone walking up the stairs, and I walk to the door and put my ear against it to figure out who it was, but my door busts open and I fall to the ground, holding my head as a bit of blood rushes down my cheek. "What the bloody-" I look up and see Emma standing there, a shocked look on her face. She falls to the floor next to me, wiping the blood off my face with her cold, soft hands. "Killian I am so so so sorry," she said frantic with her words. Seeing that she came here for the first time in weeks, I couldn't help but smile. I sit up and look at her as she pays away the blood on my face. "It's okay Emma, I promise," I say softly. She looks at me and looks down, her voice growing quiet. "I'm sorry I haven't been around lately, my best friend doesn't deserve that. I'm just a bit distracted.." She trails off, obviously speaking of Neal. I nod, not wanting to say anything. "Well I'm happy to know that you know I'm still here," I say. "Of course I know you're still here," she said in a hushed voice, wiping the last bit of blood from my face. We sat in silence with our eyes on each other for a moment, before she shook her head a bit, cleared her throat, and left quietly.