The Return

Everybody wants a hero. The chance for someone to rise exuding the very essence of hope. The soldier carrying everyone's miseries on their own back. That's the thing about them, everyone wants a hero but nobody's ever thought to become one. Like Raegan taught me, people have become selfish, lazy, and fickle. And that needed to change.

I stood in the balcony of my bedroom, thinking to myself. Recently I've been having this feeling of loneliness, and regret. I had no idea where it came from, only that it was there. "Your rather quiet" Harmattan said to me interrupting my previous solitude.

"And your rather nosy" I shot back.

He laughed it off, "Calm down no need to get all broody and moody. Reagan needs you for a mission"

Quickly I became interested. "What is it?"

"Why don't you go get that answer for yourself." He answered.

I rolled my eyes at him and walked out of my room, and into the Oval Office. "Raegan?" I said to him as he sat in the chair. "You needed something?"

"Yes. I need you to go to Europe" he said to me.

"Why, do I get an early vacation?" I asked sarcastically.

He laughed, "A vacation from what, you've already been indulged in life." He answered. I had to agree, all I had to do was ask for something and I got it. I even had my own personal assistant. "There are talks of peace with neighboring countries of Lavinia and Borland." He explained.

"What does that have to do with me?

"I need you to pose as a representative from Borland and assassinate the prime minister of Lavinia.

I was confused, and surprised at what he wanted me to do. "Why, that would produce chaos"

"No, it would produce war."

"I'm sorry for confusing the two, war is obviously better" I said sarcastically.

He continued on ignoring my concerns. "When they go to war. I make money selling them arms and offering them aid." He said, "It also gives me an excuse to place military bases in europe"

"People will die all for your gain." I said.

Raegan stood and walked to me. "Do you remember when I found you as a child abandoned by your only family who tried to kill you?" He asked

I lowered my head, "yes, sir"

"I saved your life. I think it only fair if you save mines as well"

"This isn't saving your life, what you're calling for is mass destruction"

"Samuel" Raegan halted me.

I stopped and nodded, "Sorry, I was acting ungrateful. I will do all that you ask"

He smiled, "Thank you my boy" he said hugging me.

"How nauseatingly warm" harmattan said as he came into the room.

I turned towards him and rolled my eyes. "When do I leave?" I asked

"Tonight" Raegan answered.

"Well then, I guess I'll be making the most of what I have before that time comes." I said then zoomed of out of the building. While I was running I put something more comfortable on. A hoodie, jeans, and sneakers. Raegan never let me where anything but a suit so I took every chance I could to change.

I walked into the city of DC, throwing the hoodie over my head. I headed into a nice coffee shop called "Fromage" which meant cheese in French, making it obvious that the guy who owned this place was clearly not French. I sat down in a booth. I took the menu and opened it but someone snatched it out of my hands before I could read it. "Samuel?" A voice said. I looked up slowly and noticed a face that looked kind of familiar.

"Who are you?" I said snatching it back. I hadn't even known the guy, but I already felt like I hated him.

He took the liberty of inviting himself to sit right next to me. "We thought you were dead? Your father has been scouring the world for you"

I grabbed the butter knife from the table and held it at his throat. "What the hell do you know about my father?" I asked.

"Why are you trying to kill me?" He asked confused.

"Tell me what you know!" I demanded.

"Why tell you when I can show you" he said through he teeth. "I can take you to him"

"Don't trifle with me!" I warned.

"I'm not I swear. He's here in DC" I removed the knife from his neck, and he coughed back to life. "Gee, Sam I thought we were past the hating each other thing"

"Get over it, I barely scrapped you skin" I said, "Now take me to my father"

He stood, and I followed him outside. He pulled out his phone, and I got paranoid so I held the knife at his back. "Relax I'm calling him"

I released the knife, and he dialed the number. "Yeah, hello?" He said through the phone. "There's something you might want to see"

Before I could move fast enough he turned and hit me in the back of the head with a gun.

I woke up exhausted with a sharp pain in my head. I didn't know where I was, but for some reason it looked familiar. I tried to get up, but my hands were shackled to the couch I was sitting on.

"Samuel!" The man who had knocked me out said getting up. "He's awake"

Moments later my father came in with a look of relief on his face. I starred at him, hating him with every ounce of my body. "What the hell do you want now?!" I yelled

"Well at least we know he still hates you" The boy said.

"How come you remember me, but not Harry?" He asked.

"Because I've never met him in my life before. And he's never tried to kill me"

"Tried to kill you?" He repeated.

"Don't act like you didn't know. You disgust me."

"And how did 'I' try to kill you?" He asked me.

"You tried to shoot me in the head, but thankfully Raegan saved my life" I said, "Now it's time I save his" I vibrated my hands breaking the shackles. I stood ready with my hands engulfed in flames.

"Raegan is not your friend!" The boy named Harry tried. "He tried to kill all of us, remember?"

"He would never hurt me, he was and will always be my only family"

Another man walked in who looked just like my father. Confused, didn't even begin to describe my words. Was it a clone? "Jacob...you have to remember Jacob" my father said. "He took you in, gave you a life in the city."

I inched closer with my fire, "I will incinerate you if you keep telling me these lies" I threatened him.

"There not lies, Sam" Jacob tried.

Overwhelmed, my brain began to feel a pulsing pain, and I could no longer control myself. I ran out of the house grabbing my head.

The sound of my cell phone ringing calmed my nerves. "Hello?" I said picking up.

"Yourl flight to Borland left an hour ago, where are you?" Raegan said frustrated.

"I'll be there soon." I said, and hung up.

I starred at the house from the outside as my father looked through the doorway at me. I rolled my eyes at him, then left in a whoosh.