Interlude: For Love and Duty

Start from the beginning

A smile appeared on the mercenary officer's lips as he watched them barrel towards the now panicking Elorians. There was the cavalry! Almost immediately the frantic sound of trumpets and signal drums filled the air as the entire battlefield shifted in the face of this new development.

The Elorians began to pull back as they tried to deal with this new threat. Even the militia fighting Ewarlyn's own men soon disengaged. A ragged cheer broke out through the ranks of the Silver Blades as their opponents retreated.

"Let them go. We're not getting paid per head so there's no point pursuing them, lads," the lieutenant ordered his men.

He watched the battle for a few more minutes, but when the cavalry tore through the Elorians' archers and the rest of their army kept retreating it was plain the day was won. The Count was no fool; he had sprung his surprise at just the right time. The Elorians had been strung out and too engaged to respond properly.

After one last glance back Ewarlyn put his second in command and headed off to find the other Silver Blade officers. He flipped off his helmet and removed his gauntlets as he walked. There was nothing more he could do here, and he had gotten quite thirsty. It had been a long hot day of fighting and a glass of wine would really hit the spot.

A few minutes later he approached the Silver Blades' large grey command tent. The sound of arguing voices echoed out from within, and he sighed. The captain must not be present. Ewarlyn swaggered into the large brown tent to see what was going on.

The inside of the pavilion was unlit but enough sunlight streamed through the entrances and gaps in the fabric walls that it wasn't an issue. Several large mats had been thrown over the ground, and a wooden table was set up in the center of the room. It was covered in maps and surrounded by several plain wooden chairs.

Just as Ewarlyn had expected most the other Sliver Blades lieutenants were present but not the Captain. Two military looking men were seated at the table and another two were standing beside it. A servant also stood off to one side.

"I see you all survived to annoy each other another day. I hope the same can be said for the others. Any of you know where the Captain is?" Ewarlyn asked as he walked in.

The others all turned towards him, and a younger man who was leaning back in his chair and had his feet resting on the table replied.

"You just lost me five copper, Ewarlyn. I'd bet the others that you'd finally gotten yourself killed. Damn, and it seemed like a sure thing. The fighting was thick and heavy in your area, and for some completely unfathomable reason you feel the need to fight on the front lines. I mean look at you! You were obviously just doing it. How are you alive?" the man joked.

"I am a knight of Azur-Waj, Rahgeid. I am dedicated to the god of war, and do not fear death or battle," Ewarlyn replied with a smile, as he stepped forward and pushed the other man's feet off the table.

"Ugh, not that nonsense again! I thank the gods every day that I wasn't born a third son. If I had been then my parents might have tried to send me off to be a paladin as well, and then I'd be just as stupid as you," Rahgeid shot back.

Before Ewarlyn could reply, or pour himself a glass of wine, the doorway of the tent darkened as the Captain and the last lieutenant entered. Ewarlyn let out a relieved breath he'd been unaware of holding in when he saw them. In the back of his mind he'd been afraid something had happened to them.

Captain Hyrus was a thickly built older man with a large mustache and a shaved head. As a veteran of many battlefields and wars he had a commanding aura that dominated any room he was in. Everyone in the room went quiet and straightened their posture as he gazed their way.