Chapter 21 - One Tough Cookie

Start from the beginning

Emma nodded and smiled weakly at him.  “I wish I can believe that Keegan.  I can only hope for better days and wish I could live long enough to enjoy it.  Uhm, If you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to my patients.”

Keegan stepped aside to let her pass.  “If you need any help, anything at all I want you to know you can call on me.”

Emma halted her steps and froze at the genuine concern of her alpha.  She dropped her head in defeat and slowly turned to face him.  “There is one thing though Keegan.”

That got his attention so he looked at her expectantly.

“Live each day like it was your last.  Cherish your mate and protect her with everything you got…  Be safe, alpha.”

Keegan scrunched up his nose at her odd and ominous request as he watched her retreating back.  Something felt really off with her and he made a mental note to talk to her parents.  He retreated as well and resumed his patient rounds.

*****

It was a productive day for Queran at the pack house.  She had a knack for numbers so she went over the accounts with Keegan’s parents.  Everything seemed to be in order and she was impressed by  Elijah’s astuteness in business.  The vineyard reaped the rewards of a regular clientele for all of Arcadia.  Shops, groceries and even restaurants to the local bar patronized the fine wines of the pack.  They even exported to some parts of Europe.  Employees took pride in their work and were happy of the job they do.  It was surreal and perfectly managed and organized.  Next up she visited the child care center managed by Caitlin and her mom.  Being around the kids gave her a deep sense of longing.  It was amazing how a 2 year old could have that much energy to burn.  She enjoyed every minute of it.  The young kids were taught simple enough chores like keeping their toys after play, folding their mats after afternoon nap to as basic as tying shoelaces and brushing their teeth.  They were also taught the basics of the alphabet and most of the time they were just left to enjoy being a child.  This sector was covered so she moved on. 

Crimson Hollow had become a beacon in the realm of pack business.   Elijah boasted of Keegan’s reputation as a primary consultant to growing packs and has offered mentoring to upcoming alphas free of charge.  It was so noble that he gained respectability amongst their kind.  This made her appreciate and love him more.  She was waiting on the hours to be with him and just hold him.

The sector that she and Tanner visited next was the youth.  They were the teen wolves in high school who were mostly the aggressive, foolhardy and temperamental ones.   Most of them had a flair for carelessness and nonchalance.  Tanner mentioned a few who expressed an interest in training as enforcers and trackers but sadly there were only a handful.  It appears that they were mostly passive with everything that goes on in the pack.  She was going to change that.  She realized that this is the sector she wants to focus on making it better.  Being the athletic sort and a knack for fitness and a considerable knowledge of self defense, she decided to introduce a proactive way of burning off excess  energy.  She told him of her plans to involve them in sports both for recreational and competitive purposes.  She was contemplating on her plan of action when she felt Tanner staring at her in amusement.  She growled at him and Tanner burst in a full blown belly laugh that he bawled over clutching his stomach.

Her jaw ached to laugh with him but decided otherwise.  She startled him by pushing his shoulders that he was flung 5 feet away.  He fell on his butt and his laugh died. 

“Not cool, Luna.”  He quickly got up and dusted his pants.  They were already drawing a steady audience so he walked up to her.

“Aw, did I hurt you big boy?  That’s what you get from mocking me Corbin; bad mistake.”  She crossed her arms in front of her chest and leaned on one foot smirking at the Beta.  Tanner pretended to roll up his shirt sleeves like he was preparing for a fight.  He assumed a fighting stance.