forty-two

Ariana

A new text message flashed in front of my eyes. It was from Mike. My heart thumped from the shock hitting my fingertips, tingling. It had been a couple of weeks since I'd last heard from him and I was relieved he had left me alone. At the same time I was stoked that he still wanted to be my friend. One more senior to know in high school made it that much better, and being he was popular and hot, made it even better:

Hey Ari, Thinkin' 'bout you. Ready for tomorrow?

Hi, yeah. Excited and nervous. How are u? What have you been up to?

Don't be. It's no big deal. If anyone gives you shit, Send 'em my way. Lol Joined a new band and it's more my speed. Things good with u & J?

Oh, cool on the new band! Can't wait to hear about it. J & I are fine.

Cool. See u tomorrow then.

Okay, bye.

I looked up to see my reflection in the mirror, and it had a stupid smile plastered across it, it surprised me. Okay, I had to admit, I was happy Mike reached out. I could be friends with him even if Justin wasn't, right? He was always nice to me and I hated people who took sides. I refused to be a jerk to Mike just because Justin hated him.

This was what I told myself as I hopped off my bed to find something to wear. Thankfully the heat wave we'd had all summer was going away and it was cool. I looked at the time. Nadine was supposed to be here by now. It was already 11 o'clock. I sent her a quick text – Where are u? – Just as I hit send, there was a soft knock at my door.

Nadine's face was tear-streaked. I was choked for words and stammered. "Oh my god. What happened?"

She sat at the edge of my bed with her head hanging between her knees, hyperventilating and handed me her phone. It was lit up with a message from Chris telling her he had an awesome summer and that with school starting he wouldn't be able to hang anymore. Not believing it could be true, I read the text over and over again.

I was speechless.

I didn't know what to say to her, so I just sat there bewildered, rubbing her back and my own paranoia crept in. School was starting the next day and today was suppose to be the raddest day prepping for our first day of high school.

"Nadine," I said, taking in a deep breath. "You didn't, like, you know. I hoped she would get what I was trying to ask, and by the looks of it, she did. With a snivel, she choked out a word that surprised me. "No," she answered as she ran the palm of her hand up her runny nose. "I need a tissue."

Her phone pinged with a new text message and she looked at the screen. Nadine cleared her throat as she placed her phone on my bed, pointing at it. "That was Nicole. She's coming over here. I hope you don't mind."

My stomach sank to my ass. "Really, she's coming here?" I said dryly. "Huh, that's a shocker."

"Well, I texted her what happened. I obviously couldn't go over there. I told her I was coming here. Come on Ari, she's been hurt by this whole thing with you too. We've both been kinda bummin'." She explained. "And I think it's really shitty that neither of you tried to call each other."

"Are you kidding?" I said, miffed. "You guys are the ones talking shit on me, gossiping to each other about stuff that included all of us. We all want the same thing, Nadine."

Nadine sat with her mouth slightly open, considering my words. "Yeah, well, it just seemed you got full of yourself and..."

"Can't you be happy for me?" I interrupted loudly. "Let's go back a day or a week, before you read the break up text from Chris." My voice pitched higher, strained. "I was so super stoked for you, Nadine. Happy that you had a guy that you wanted and he was into you, but what do I get? I get a bunch of shit just because my guy isn't part of our group. And you guys think the worst of me just because I'm not around. That's so lame."