thirteen

Ariana

I continued with the lies, kind of, texting my mom explaining I was with Nadine, which would be true soon enough. I tried to keep things on the up and up – for the most part.

Justin finished his call with Mike and was all smiles.

"What? You wanted a solution, now we have one."

God he was beautiful. I was enthralled. Words couldn't describe how much I was taken by his entire...everything.

I gave him a sideways grin.

Justin reached over and took my hand. His skin was so much warmer than mine. He played with my fingers, tracing my nail beds, giving me the chills.

"You have nice hands, and nails, real nails – not those fake lame ones," he remarked, pausing. His eyes roamed my face. "So you don't wanna continue your lesson?"

I groaned. "No, I don't. I don't feel like it now. When is Nadine coming back? Is Mike coming over now too?"

"Yeah, in about forty-five minutes."

I was resigned. The plan was set in motion and I couldn't change it.

"So, what's this thing you'd promised to do to get Mike to commit?"

"We're gonna play at a house party."

I had heard about these house party drunk-fests. "Keggers," my father called them. They were off limits to my brother and sister – supposedly. I knew they still went when they stayed over at their friend's. I would overhear my sister crafting her plan. Nicole and I would sit with our ears pressed up against the wall, listening to the gossip of high school life. Finally we were going to be a part of it.

"Where's the party at? I inquired. Like it really mattered, but I was curious anyway.

"You're not gonna wanna hear this, but it's at Rachel's place. I'd already been going back and forth about playing there. Now I'm locked in." He motioned, resigned, brushing crumbs around the tabletop. "It's basically a summer kick-off party. She's always had them, since like seventh grade."

I pictured The Envies at the party, standing out in all their perfectness...how was I going to measure up? I felt an inch tall and totally insecure. I focused on the fact that I was holding Justin's hand and that he was gently rubbing the inside of my palm with his fingertips.

"Do you think Rachel would let us come to the party? Or are we too young? Like is this only a senior thing?" I tried to sound nonchalant.

"I'd say come. I'll just tell her you guys are coming. Fuck it." He shrugged. My mood buoyed. "She knows who you are to me, so whatever."

"Really, and what's that?" I asked, surprised at my boldness.

He stalled. I knew what he meant, but I wanted to hear him say it because it was apparent she still thought herself as his girlfriend.

"She knows we're close, that we grew up together." He stated, leaning over and kissing me warmly on the cheek. A million thoughts rushed through my head. I pictured myself grabbing him by the neck and pulling him back to me, when he backed away. All the while his caramel brown eyes burned a hole in my head. I was speechless.

He went to the TV, tapping at some buttons. Wii Sports popped up brightly on the screen. A smile spread across his face as he held up two remotes.

"Since you're not into continuing with your guitar lesson, we can battle it out on Wii until our fronts arrive."

"Fronts?" I asked, cocking my head.