Jess froze for a second before her eyes widened. "The WHAT?"

_______________________________

JESSICA rubbed her pale arm in nervousness.

To say she was nervous was an understatement. The amount of anxiety coursing through her veins was astronomical. For one, she and rich people are two things that do not go. She was surprised that she and Oliver lasted as long as they did. But she needed to remember what her late friend, and father figure, Lionel Luthor once told her:

"Confidence is the key to one's insecurities. People treat it as misfortune while you'll treat it as a weapon of endless possibilities."

Even if she faked her confidence, it'll be enough to get through the night. Clark noticed her state before thinking of what he could say to calm her down. "There's no need to be nervous, Jess."

"I'm not nervous..."

"I can feel it through the bond."

She scoffed at herself in her head, she forgot about the bond. She took a deep breath, wiping her palms on her dress nonchalantly. "I have a really bad feeling."

"That's it?"

"You know, you're no help."

"Look... I'm here and there's nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, that's such a relief." Clark went to say something else when he noticed the frenzy of photographers rushing towards the upcoming car. Clark raised a brow at the way they went crazy.

When he saw the man, tall, dark, and brooding, exit his car, he gave a playboy smile, winking at the females fawning over him.

"Who's that?" He asked with a tilt of his head.

Jessica, who was busy rummaging through her handbag to find her invitation, looked to see who her brother was staring at. She and the quite popular guest made eye contact almost immediately. He stopped himself from walking inside the mansion to get a better look at her. Clark narrowed his eyes upon the way the man clearly eyeballed his sister before stepping into the man's view.

She rolled her eyes when the man sent a wink her way. "Well, you're new to the 'Let them eat cake' beat." She sighed. "That's Bruce Wayne, the richest playboy of Gotham City. The same man I was supposed to interview for you, but he bailed without a phone call." She grumbled. "Arrogant rich boy."

"Didn't you date a arrogant rich boy?" Clark asked.

She grabbed Clark's hand, ignoring his question. "Let's go inside."

The two enter the mansion, the warm air hitting Jessica's exposed skin. She gave a contented sigh at the feeling of it kissing her skin. She made sure to keep close to her brother. Even though she was mad at him, she still felt safer with him around.

Seeming to be just on time, the library president, Nicky LeBlanc, talked into a microphone. "Philanthropist. Bibliophile. A true friend of the library of Metropolis, Mr. Lex Luthor." The group applauded as a path was cleared for Lex to hit the stage.

"Me?" He says, embarrassed. "Ah, okay. Nicky!" He kisses her cheek. "You're embarrassing me." As Lex readies himself, Jessica is offered a drink by the waiters but she refuses. She needed to be sharp. Besides, she was working.

Feeling eyes on her, she looked back as she and Bruce stare at each other for a moment, once again, before she looks forward. She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose with a sharp exhale through her nose. "Speech. Speech. Ugh, blah, blah, blah. Open bar. The end." Lex tried to joke. "The word Philanthropist comes from the Greek. Meaning a lover of humanity." Lex explained. "It was coined about, 2,500 years ago..."