3 | Masquerade

En başından başla

When Clark saw his sister coming back around the corner, with a tablet in her hands this time, Lois pushed him onto his feet. "Jessie!" He called, startling Jess. "A quick word?" He asked nervously.

"What?" She asked with a raised brow.

"Uh... listen, there's this gala tonight..."

"Yeah?"

"And I was wondering if you wanted to go... instead?" Clark asked. He immensely regretted it once he saw Jess's face twist into annoyance and heard Lois facepalm behind him.

Jess leaned over to look at Lois with a raised brow before turning back to look at her brother. "Clark, didn't I tell you I wasn't going to keep doing your work?"

"Jess, I know, I know, but I really need your help!" Clark begged, following after Jessica to her cubical. Jess placed her tablet on her desk with a deep sigh. Before she could even think about it, her mouth was speaking for her.

"Yes..." She sighed.

Clark turned his attention to Lois, a dorky smile on his face. "You're the best." When Jessica left her cubical without saying another word to Clark, Lois was staring at him with her lips pursed. "What?"

"That was terrible."

"But she said yes!"

"You didn't even ask her if she wanted to go with you, Clark Kent." Lois scolded. "I swear, you may be super, but you're very much a man."

Clark furrowed his brows. "What's that supposed to mean?" When Lois walked away with a shake of her head, Clark scratched the back of his head. "Lo!"

_______________________________

JESS stared at her beautified reflection in her vanity mirror with a boring look.

Lois clapped her hands together in awe. "You're like my Barbie doll. You look incredible J!" She gushed causing Jess to blow a strand of hair out of her face. "I never get to do this, so I'm going to bask in this for as long as I can."

Jessica stood up, smoothing out her blue dress, and tried to move her pinched toes. "Thanks, Lo." She thanked, pushing strands of her curled hair away from her eyes.

A knock at Jessica's door alarmed her, she snatched her glasses from the coffee table and slapped them onto her face. She composed herself and opened the door to see it was her brother. She slouched her shoulders to see he was in a suit, a very nice suit at that. She was going to slam the door in his face but opted on being peaceful. "What are you wearing, Clark?"

The smile on his face faded slightly. "I'm going with you."

"You said you couldn't go. I wouldn't have gotten dressed up if you could." She growled with her finger pointed at him.

The man raised his hands in surrender. "Only said that because Lois told me that you wouldn't go once you found out who was hosting it." He smiled timidly. He noticed the scary glare she was giving him. Maybe he should have just told her he felt bad about treating her badly and wanted to spend more time with her? "I also... didn't want to go alone. I should have let you know, I'm sorry." He apologized, the blue in his eyes showing sympathy.

Jessica glared at him, grabbed her purse, and pushed past him. "Netflix and sleep were on my agenda tonight, Clark."

"Oh, you'll get over it." Lois chuckled, hugging her best friend from behind.

"You still haven't told me who invited us, Clark."

Clark scratched the back of his neck with a sheepish look on his face. "The Friends of the Metropolis Library..."