Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

The next morning was slightly surreal. I woke up, surrounded by my packed bags, and grinned. I wasn't going home.

I might still have a chance of becoming a ballerina.

The grin remained on my face as I practically skipped down the hall towards the ballet studio. The performance wasn't until this evening, but the entire day was dedicated to making sure everything was perfect. We'd practice some moves, check the costumes were good, and even the orchestra would be practising with us.

The thought of doing all these things made me a bit nervous—I knew my moves, so I'd rather be doing something completely different to distract myself with until the moment came, but that wasn't the way things worked here.

My smile fell straight from my lips when I entered the room. Amber was stood at the barre stretching just like everyone else. Mrs. Mellier cornered me the moment I arrived, dragging me to the corner before I could express my outrage in some not very polite terms in front of everyone.

"What is she doing here? She's been expelled."

She had the decency to look apologetic. "We don't have another Cinderella. We can't just get rid of the entire ballet tonight because of what she did. She'll be leaving the Academy tomorrow." I'd assumed there would be an understudy, or something. Amber's role had practically skipped my mind.

My outrage was quelled slightly as anxiety rose up inside me. Could I really say it? "I can be Cinderella."

Mrs. Mellier's sigh was very condescending. "Amber has been practising the part for months now. She's got the role."

"Where's Mr. Langley?" I asked instead, my heart beginning to race. I could prove to her that I deserved it. I spotted Ethan in the opposite corner, critiquing some of the other backing dancer's posture. All the ballet teachers were here, helping out in whatever way they could. "Sir!" About six heads of male instructors turned towards me, but Ethan knew it was him I called for.

He jogged over and looked between us. "What's up?"

I took a deep breath. "I can be Cinderella. I know the moves. Will you dance with me, so I can show Mrs. Mellier?"

Ethan didn't look very surprised. He must have been expecting it. "Of course. You need to warm up first, though."

"I'm on it."

Mrs. Mellier looked a bit flustered. "You can't perform the entire ballet now. We don't have time." We had enough time to perform the entire thing five times over before the curtains opened, but I didn't mention that.

"We'll just do the ballroom scene." It was the hardest one. It was the best way to prove myself. "If that's okay."

She waved a dismissive hand. "It can't hurt. It's always a pleasure to watch Mr. Langley dance, anyway."

I raised my eyebrows at him when we'd turned away and he just shook his head at me. Laughing, I went to the barre to warm up.

We didn't command an audience, everyone was concerned with what they were doing themselves, but Mrs. Mellier changed the music for us and we took our positions on the edge of the studio.

Ethan gave me a single nod before we began moving to the music. This was the scene we'd lived on—it was the heart-wrenching romantic scene and it had been a perfect excuse to be as close to each other as possible. Mrs. Mellier was going to think I was a very good actress by the end of it, because it was impossible not to look at Ethan with hooded eyes as his hand brushed against mine.

The moves were difficult, but they were practically second nature to me now. It was all about Ethan. Part of me wanted to sit on the side-lines so I could really appreciate his dancing from every angle, but being a part of it was special, too. Our eyes didn't leave each other's and our touches ranged from the feathery brushes to the hard ones that made me want to dig my fingers in.

My breathing was heavier from both the exertion and the inevitable warmth I got from being this close to him—it was intimate, dancing like this, even if it just looked standard from the outside.

The final lift was the most challenging, but we'd done it so many times I wasn't scared anymore. I moved towards Ethan with enough speed that he had leverage to lift me above his head, fingers biting into my hips deliciously, and I spread my arms in the crucifix position.

I didn't stay in the air for long—Ethan brought me back down, dragging me along his body, and the routine was finished.

I blinked when applause filled the room and forced myself to look away from Ethan's shining eyes. Everyone had stopped to watch us, and I found my cheeks turning scarlet. Mrs. Mellier was clapping, too. "Very good," she congratulated.

Stepping away from Ethan completely, I tried to contain my joy at least a little bit. "Thank you."

"And you know all the moves?"

"She does," Ethan spoke before me, letting her know that I was entirely serious about this.

I could do it, if she let me.

"Then let me see. With Leon this time."

My nod was swift. "Okay."

When Leon and I danced together it wasn't the same and I finally got to see exactly what Ethan had meant. The moves were identical, but the passion definitely wasn't there. I wasn't the slightest bit turned on as Leon's hands held me the same way as Ethan's.

It was almost reassuring. I cared for Ethan for being Ethan, not just because it was sexy to dance with someone.

Mrs. Mellier looked just as pleased as she watched the rehearsal. I probably wasn't quite as good as Amber, but after what she'd done, I hoped I was good enough to justify putting me in.

Every so often my gaze would meet with Ethan's proud one and my heart would soar.

I'd definitely proven myself to him now. During the first ballet lesson I'd never believed I'd even come close to this, but pushing myself had really been worth it in the end.

At the end of the rehearsal, when Mrs. Mellier had confirmed I could have the spot, and Amber had stomped out of the room almost in tears, Leon only chuckled. "I'm not going to get you to look at me like you looked at him, though, am I?"

I scratched the back of my head guiltily. I'd honestly thought my in love acting with Leon had been pretty all right. "I'm sorry." I hoped it wasn't that obvious to everyone else, too.

Leon chuckled. "It's okay. Can't have everything I want. I'm glad I'm dancing with you, whatever you feel."

And I was glad I was dancing with him, too. He was my friend, and us doing this together was special in its own way. He'd been there for me the whole time, and I couldn't have wished anything more of him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So close to the end, and so close to breaking into the 100s on the Romance List! I'm at #204 right now, which is ridiculously exciting. Thank you everyone!