Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The next day was a very mixed bag of emotions. I was most definitely sporting an afterglow. I could barely keep the grin off my face, even when the guilt and sadness was swirling around inside me. It might never happen again, and he might have been beating himself up about it, but the memory ran through my mind on repeat and nothing could keep it at bay.

I'd kissed Ethan.

I'd spent two months imagining kissing Ethan and never really considering the possibility that it would actually happen, even after I'd decided he did find me attractive.

But it had, and I wanted to squirm in my chair every minute of every lesson. No one had seen, there would be no real repercussions, so I was free to revel in it for now.

Even if it was obvious that we couldn't go anywhere near each other ever again, at least it had happened once.

Now I was off to find Liliana. She'd texted me in a bit of panic this morning after realising she hadn't seen me for nearly all of the party to check that I was okay, so I was off to her room to help her nurse her hangover. We were having a movie day with Callum and Dean. Lads and lasses weren't supposed to be in each other's dorm rooms, but it wasn't strictly enforced.

She dragged me inside when I knocked on her door and raised her eyebrows at me. "So, what happened to you last night? Did you get lucky? It was your birthday after all." No one seemed to mind that we were talking over the film.

I was forced to keep just how lucky I got to myself. "Unfortunately not. I just left early because Leon was being kind of a dick. I wasn't really into it, anyway. Too tired after all this stupid ballet practise I've been putting in." I hated lying, but it was necessary. The Leon bit was true, anyway.

"Ew, I didn't even invite Leon. It sucks that he ruined it for you. Is he really interested in you, then? I haven't heard anything in the gossip mill."

"I'm not sure," I scratched my head and settled onto her bed beside Callum where I could see the TV. The rest of her dorm was absent. "I still think he's just cosying up to me so that Amber can do something horrible to me."

Liliana chuckled. "Probably. Oh well, that's really a shame."

"It's not a big deal," I waved her off and snatched the edge of the blanket. "Stop hogging it you dicks."

Callum smirked. "Should have brought your own."

"Did you lot have a good time, anyway?"

"Those two certainly did. They got it on together in the bushes near the end of the night," Dean drawled, gesturing between them with the biggest grin on his face.

Every inch of Liliana's skin turned red. I watched in almost amazement as her arms turned scarlet. "We did not!"

Callum looked mildly offended, which told me everything I needed to know. "Anyway, can we get back to the plan?"

"Oh, right." Liliana turned to me with a grin. "We're finally going to do something about this stupid pollution thing rather than moaning about it from behind our computers."

I raised an eyebrow.

"We're going to blow up my family's chemical plant."

"What?"

Liliana laughed. "Well, I may have over exaggerated a tiny bit. Basically, there's a shed which keeps some old machinery in that's plenty far enough away from the actual chemical thing so that nothing will harm the environment when it blows up. I just want them to realise that these things have repercussions."

The entire thing sounded ridiculous, but I figured I'd sit and listen to them discussing the finer details before I wrote it off as being absurd.

They were definitely taking it seriously, anyway.

"So you definitely know someone who can get us the explosives?" Callum checked, pulling out his phone and reading off a note.

"I'm not going to explain the details since you're all English buffs, but I can get the stuff. That's not going to be the hard part. The hard part is getting out of school, getting to the plant and then escaping again."

"Well my car is parked outside the school gates in a layby since someone keyed it. We can just use that," Dean waved off the travel issue. "We shouldn't get caught."

I blinked. They were really doing this and I had to admit their plan didn't sound half bad. There wasn't even any real reason they should look at an exclusive school when it came to suspects for some kind of bombing attack. "I have balaclavas, so that's not an issue."

"Why on Earth do you have balaclavas?" It was practically surreal at this point.

"It was for Halloween one year," he chuckled. "Don't go thinking this is some kind of regular occurrence."

"Well I know just gist of where my parents' security is anyway and they don't have patrols or anything. There will just be someone sat on some cameras, so as long as we are quick there is really nothing to worry about." Liliana was strikingly calm. Half of her attention still seemed focused on the film. I couldn't imagine being so apathetic towards my parents.

I wasn't going to get involved in any of this—part of me didn't even think it was a good idea to be sat here listening to their plans—and so I listened with an almost amused smile on my face.

They were all idiots.

Idiots fighting for a good cause, but still idiots.

Their plan was surely never going to work out.