XXXV : The Leaf and the Candle

Start from the beginning

Look me up in advance."

I flashed him a dissapointed look, but he kept on giggling and covering his face out of shyness, causing me to laugh as well.

"Why would you diss Taehyung?" I pushed him by the shoulder.

"I don't know, it just popped in my mind," he defended himself.

When we were too busy laughing, the track finally ended and changed to another one.

"If you and me become estranged someday,
If we could never meet each other,
Don't forget me, don't lose me."

My laughter died down as I tried to get a better listen at the song.

"You know this song?" Jimin asked me, the edges of his lips slightly curving upwards as he talked.

"I think I do. Wait, let me remember," I tried to dig inside my head.

"Even if you are holding other's hand,
If you are at somewhere I cannot go,
Don't forget me, don't lose me."

"Crush," I said, earning a nod from Jimin.

"When our warm cheeks meet each other,
When you're gently holding my frozen hands,
With your warmth, hugging my heart that's worn out by the cold world."

I allowed the lyrics to creep into my heart. Even though the song didn't sound as sad, I found the lyrics very sorrowful. 

It was like leaf in the late summertime.

It would be bushy, beautifully green, and high up on the tree, just next to the sky. But it would still be sad, as it knows that the time for itself to wilt is approaching closer and closer every single day. It knows that one day, the time for it to fall off the tree would eventually come.

It was like me.

For a second I thought so, until my eyes darted towards Jimin, who had actually been staring at me the whole time. I stared back at him, the aching in my heart coming back.

But when he smiled at me, I realized that I was the tree. 

It seemed as if he was the one singing the song for me, as if he was the leaves. Like the tree, I was at my finest, but also afraid I would go dry and empty with my leaves gone. I was afraid that autumn might be approaching. I was afraid, so I leaned my head at his shoulder, burying my face. I wanted to disappear.

But then he held my hand, and started patting my head to sleep with his other hand. In his hold, I wanted to disappear even more.

"Your face in my eyes, you sleeping in my arms,
Hope everything stops like this.
Don't let go of the hands that are holding together."

-

It was already evening when we arrived at the bus station. The sky is starting to turn into darker shades when we got off a cab, near the shore.

The sound of waves crashing on to the sand and the smell of salt brought out my inner happiness. As soon as we paid the taxi, I ran towards the direction of the entrance of the beach, cheering as I did.

I turned around to see Jimin walking leisurely behind me.

"Come on Jiminnie!" I shouted, causing him to laugh and jog after me.

I stopped running the moment the waves got so close to my shoes. I stood still and tried to inhale the sea air while balancing my breath from the running. Finally catching up to me, Jimin stopped too, only to wait for the waves to come back and push me towards it right in time.