Chapter Nine

Matthew went through the first part of the school just like he did yesterday. He sat through all the classes and people still constantly mistook him for Alfred.

However today he was a bit distant, as there was something else on his mind. What Francis had said.

And he kept wondering the same thing over and over again.

Who is Arthur?

He couldn't get the thought of this Kirkland guy out of his head. He couldn't help it.

He wondered who he was and the relationship he had with Francis that made Francis move back to another country simply because he wanted to apologize. What made Francis move in the first place?

Matthew knew he shouldn't be getting too deep into it, but he still kept thinking about it.

He was so out of it in the hallway in between classes that he ran right into somebody.

"Oh, sorry!" he quickly apologized. What is with me and running into people?

"Don't worry about it," the other began, but then got a look at Matthew and glared, "Oh, it's you."

"M-me?"

"Yes you, Alfred."

Matthew sighed, "Sorry, you got the wrong guy."

The other blinked and looked at Matthew again, "Oh, you're right." He stuck out his hand, "Haven't seen you before. Name's Carlos. Who're you?"

Matthew hesitantly took Carlos's hand, "Matthew."

Carlos nodded and let go of Matthew's hand, "Nice to meet you. Sorry for snapping at you like that, I thought you were Alfred. You look a lot like him."

Matthew laughed a bit, "Yeah, I've noticed. Weird huh?"

Carlos shrugged, "Hey, at least you don't seem to act like him."

Matthew raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"Have you met Alfred?"

"Yeah, we met yesterday," Matthew explained, "He seems fine to me."

"Seems fine to you? Well if you like to hang out with loud, obnoxious, and irritating people with egos bigger than the planet then I guess he'd be great."

"Come on, he doesn't seem that bad."

Carlos rolled his eyes, "You've only known him since yesterday. Trust me, he'll get on your nerves easily. The only person at this school worse than him happens to be his friend Gilbert. Well anyway, you seem cool. If you ever want to hang out with someone who's not annoying, feel free to ask me. There's this really great ice cream place downtown we can go to after school or something."

"Wha? Um... Okay, sounds great!" Matthew replied, a bit surprised.

Carlos smiled, "Great! I can't go today though, maybe sometime next week. Well, I've got to get going. See you later!"

"Yeah, see you later," Matthew called as Carlos walked away.

Matthew just stood there for a moment.

Why is everything so different at this school? At my old one no one even realized I was there most of the time. And now in only two days I've made a few actual friends. What happened?

Matthew shook his head and walked to his next class.

...

Matthew headed towards the cafeteria and got his lunch. He started walking to where he had sat the day before, but stopped.