Chapter 24- Together [Vikk]

I sit up, and Lachlan, beside me, does the same. The eerie glow of the cave is gone, now that the gems have been destroyed. Faint daylight filters through from the cave entrance.

Behind us, Rob and Preston lay slumped on the stone floor. Presumably they are still... getting back their memories.

Tyler is nowhere to be seen.

Lachlan grips my hand tightly, and I look to him. He takes off his chest-piece, and then brings me up in a hug, and I almost start to cry.

"I never want to lose you again, Vikky. I love you so much."

"Oh, Lachy. I love you too."

And I go up on my tip-toes, and kiss him. He kisses back, wrapping his arms around my neck.

When we finish, he smiles weakly and leans his forehead on mine.

"Are we finished? Is it over?"

I open my mouth, about to answer, when I hear a pained gasp. I step away, and look towards Preston and Rob. Rob's still motionless on the floor, but Preston's on his knees, looking at his hands.

Oh no.

"No. No. No."

He shakes his head, pushing his eyes shut. His fingernails rake along the floor, and he lets out a pained whimper.

"No. I never did that. I would never do that."

Lachlan steps forward, but pauses, as Preston catches sight of Rob on the floor, and his face pales.

"Rob... No."

He remembers season three. He killed Rob.

Preston stands up, body shaking, and steps away from Rob, hands held out.

"I'm sorry Rob. I'm so sorry. Please. Please."

I want to go and help him, but I'm afraid he'll flip out. Turn into Season three Preston. Lachlan seems to think this too, and we step back, slipping away into the shadows.

And then Rob's eyes fly open, and his head snaps over to face Preston.

He scrambles to his feet, hand resting on his sword.

If they fight, we have to stop them.

But they just stand there, staring at each other.

"Preston."

"Rob... I-."

"Preston."

"I'm sorry."

Preston is close to tears. Rob cautiously steps forward, but Preston's eyes go wide.

"No! Rob, please, I don't want to hurt you again."

And then he collapses to his knees. Rob darts forward, sword discarded on the floor behind him, engulfing Preston in a hug.

"Preston, I know that you did bad things in season three. And so did I. But season three was awful. Season three us... they weren't us. I know you. I know the real you."

"Rob, I'm so sorry."

And then they both sit there, wrapped in each other's arms, tears dripping to the ground around them.

They'll be okay.

I turn back to Lachlan. Relief floods his face as we watch the two of them, struggling together to face what they both have done. But season 3 is over now. Now the looping is over, maybe we can live a normal life, without the gaping holes in our minds.