Chapter 17- Gem [Vikk]

I block a strike, bringing up my own blade, and cringing at the ear-wrenching screech of metal as it scrapes against Brayden's.

He grunts, pushing me back, brow furrowed and he tries to push my sword out of my hand with his own.

I take a breath and dip to the side, catching him off guard, and swing my sword quickly towards his iron chest piece. He blocks it just in time, swinging his blade around and smashing it into mine. I stumble back, but manage to keep my balance.

Brayden, however, is not so lucky. He tumbles backwards, and lands on his butt, his shiny helmet falling over his eyes.

I laugh and step forward to reach a hand out to him.

He takes it and clambers to his feet.

"Good fight, man. Real good."

He lets out a puff of air, and leans over to catch his breath. I sheath my sword, and step back away from him. We've been practising our sword fighting skills, since most of us are a bit rusty.

Lachlan sits nearby, clapping loudly. I smile, and run over to him, my sword slapping at my side.

"that was great, Vikk!"

I grin, and sit down beside him.

"Thanks, Lachy. Is it midday yet?"

He glances up at the sky, shielding his face from the sun.

"Uh... yeah, I guess. Are you ready to go?"

"Lemme drop off my armour at home, and then lets go."

We both stand up. I wave a goodbye to Brayden, and we amble across the square, chatting.

When we arrive at the house, I dump my armour and sword by the door and then turn back to Lachlan, who waits patiently outside.

We make our way over to Pete's house, where Kara has said she'll meet us.

"Wait. Um, Lachlan, why are we meeting Kara in Pete's house, of all places? I thought they hated each other..."

I ask, glancing at him. He freezes.

"I... Uh... Well, you see..."

He scratches his head. "I really don't think they h-hate eachother anymore, Vikk..."

"What? Since when?"

"Since... um. Last night, I guess?"

I furrow my brow, about to inquire further, and then I realise what he's hinting at.

"Oh! Oh... my- uh."

"yeah."

We walk in silence for a bit, and then arrive at the front door of Pete's house. Lachlan climbs the steps, and knocks twice on the heavy wooden door. Kara appears behind the door, and ushers us in to sit at the kitchen table.

There's an air of urgency that seems to surround her; her eyes are wide and her movements are quick.

She sits down across from us, hands planted on the table.

"Okay, so, you've got your memories back, right?"

She's looking at Lachlan.

"Uh, yes..."

He answers slowly. She turns to me.

"So... you must have seen something, right? You too, Vikk."

I nod.

"yes. I- we. I had a sort of dream. We were in a cave... separated by a wall. And- and there was someone else. He k-killed Lachlan and then Killed himself... that's... that's all I remember."

Kara's eyes widen.

"Who was it? Can you describe him?"

I gulp.

"He... it was very dark.... he had a grey metal crown... and some sort of glowing gem at his neck."

When I mention the gem, Kara freezes. Her face drains of all colour.

"A red... gem?"

"yes...?"

"No. No. please, no."

She stands up, her chair tipping backwards. My heartbeat begins to speed up, as I grip Lachlan's hand.

Her eyes are wide with terror, and her hands are shaking, as she backs away from us.

"Kara, what's wrong?"

When she speaks, her voice is barely a whisper.

"A red gem... and a crown..."

I don't speak. What's going on?

She turns away, to a small chest on the side.

"i hadn't thought anything of it. It was what I spawned with..."

Her fingers, still shaking, gently unclasp the chest. She lifts out a golden crown, and places it on her head.

When she turns around, I gasp. There, right there, embedded in the glinting metal, is a shining ruby.

"I can't be here. no. No. It's my fault. He's coming."

She drops to her knees, violently shaking now. Lachlan steps forward, reaches out to help her. She thrusts her hand out.

"No!"

"Kara-"

"Get out! Please, you have to go. Get Lizze, and Bee."

Her hands are over her head, clasped at the back.

"kara, please-"

And then the shaking stops. She freezes, and looks up at Lachlan and I. Her once grey eyes are now black, staring right down at us.

We back away, towards the door.

And then she starts towards us.

"Lachlan, run!"