Chapter 16- Open door [Lachlan]

I dangle my legs over the balcony, leaning my head on the wood. I have so many mixed thoughts at the moment, it's hard to keep track.

The only real fixed point is Vikk. He's the only one who understands what's happened to us. Until last night, when I got my memories back, I just felt so... lost.

The others must feel like that, too. I don't know how we're going to get their memories back, but if it worked for me, then hopefully Kara will know what to do.

My mind flickers back to season three. Back to when things made sense. But, then again, things were bad there. I shudder, remembering the war.

I pull up my sleeve, and touch the tiny red stain on my skin. It looks like a tiny drop of blood, a red tear on my arm. Why should we still have these? They're just a reminder of before. When we were all pitted against each other.

I pull my sleeve back down, and sigh.

I can't help but think of Preston. There's two different versions of him, in my mind. Season three Preston, and season four Preston.

Season 3 Preston was ruthless, a savage leader. At the final battle, the sunrise battle, he knocked me out, as he was going to kill Rob and Vikk. And I was on his team.

Season 4 Preston, while he may still have that flare, that short temper, is a good person. I think.

Yes, he cheated on me.

Yes, he broke my heart, for a split second.

But I think, deep down, that I was just relieved.

Is that bad?

I was afraid to break it off with him, because he just wasn't the person I needed. He wasn't Vikk.

When we get our memories back, what will happen to Preston? I have no idea what goes on in his mind, I can't predict what'll happen to him.

He could try to forget it. Move on, leave it behind.

But maybe not...

I cross my arms over my chest, wishing for the first option.

Please...

But now, it's not time to worry about Preston. I clamber to my feet, and turn back to the empty house. The sun has just passed over the horizon, and the light is fading quickly.

I'm staying with Vikk for now, but he's at a meeting with Choco and Kara. I glance up at the clock tower.

He should be finished soon.

Maybe I can go meet him there.

I pull on a pair of boots, run down the creaky staircase, out into the open air.

Choco's house is a few minutes away, so I speed-walk down the cobbled lane towards his place.

When I arrive, I lift my hand to the door and knock. Nobody comes.

I push it, but it's locked.

"Choco? Vikk?"

I step back away from the door, and glance to the side. The house next to Choco's is Pete's. He'll know where Vikk is.

I walk over to the house, and knock softly. The door opens at my touch.

"Pete?"

I creep down the hall, to where warm, yellow light leaks out from a partially-open door. I gently take the handle, and I'm about to open it when I catch sight of a black boot.

Who wears black boots?

Then it clicks in my head. I stumble back from the door, eyes wide, and run, as quietly as possible back to the front door, and leap out.

My cheeks are burning.

Oops.

 ;