Chapter 34: Killing Between The Lines

Start from the beginning

“Hey Joy,” he said, as if he hadn’t seen me, his voice thick with playfulness. He took another nacho off of the plate and took a vicious bite of it, before falling on the bed and lying on his side. He put the plate next to his head, and leaned his head on his hand in a seductive manner. “So... are you going to tell me where my cloak is? Or do I have to—“he waved a hand in the air, “--get it out of you… with force?”

“What? It’s not there?”

He threw his arm up at his side. “That’s what I just said. Whatever is here in this particular dream is there in real life and I see absolutely no cloaks floating around the room.”

My eyes widened as I hurried over to the container. Inside was a fuzzy pink bath robe, with a cross at the top.  “But I—I…..”

“You what?” he hissed, his voice directly by my ear. I froze under his warm breath, my heart beginning to pound. “You…lost it?”

I wiped a bead of sweat off of my forehead. I had lost the Grim Reaper’s cloak. 

I turned around to see him by the window, his hands on top of his head in frustration. His movements were so fast it was hard to keep track of where he was. “If this is a dream…maybe in the real world it’s there? I…I really don’t know. I put it in the container and folded it. I guess…I guess I put rocks on top of it…I don’t remember doing that—“

“Rocks.” He said the word as if it was the filthiest word to ever cross his mouth. His shadowed face turned to me, and he pointed an accusing finger at me. “You put rocks on top of my cloak, and expected it to not, you know, escape?”

“What do you want me to say?” I burst out. “I put it in the crate, I couldn’t use the cross because I put it on the door! This is so freaking wierd to begin with! Who has a piece of clothing that hums, and follows you into the bathroom?”

Neither of those things had thankfully happened to me...yet.

“So I wouldn’t be able to get in the house,” he said, ignoring my rant. “Instead of keeping the cloak in the container, you focused on keeping me out of the house. Very intelligent, now look where we are. No cloak, and technically I'm in your house.”

I ran a hand through my hair feeling overheated in embarrassment. “It’s got to be in the house somewhere.”

“It could be anything,” he blurted. “It can become anything, and I need it by twelve tonight or else I’m screwed,” he growled, his tone dark. “It’s already eleven thirty. Do you have any other smart plans, Faith?”

All the anger that had built up inside me that day just burst at the seems.“Stop blaming me for everything!” I reached onto my nightstand and threw the nearest object at him. He grabbed it before it hit his face, as he did the first time I tried to throw something at him, and dropped it on the ground.

I stood awkwardly under his heated gaze until he finally spoke up, “If you let me in the damn house I can find it. You have to invite me now, because you insist on putting that cross up and ending my invitation”

“I don’t want you in my house.”

“Well, you’re going to have to. I need the cloak.”

I shook my head, starting to get a bad feeling. “You know, now that I think about it. I know for a fact that I put the cloak in a plastic container with a cross on top of it,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest. “You son-of-a-bitch, you really want to get into my house that badly?”

He leaned against the wall with a chuckle, completely loosing the aggravated, stiff posture he had before. “Wow, it’s starting to get creepy how well you know me. Yeah, you’re right. The cloak is still in the container, I just wanted to get something else out of it.”

I snorted. “You know, you’re am intimidating jerk when you want to be.”

“I know,” he said shortly, shrugging slightly. “It’s a bad habit.” He pushed off of the wall, crossing the room in fast strides. I hadn’t expected it and practically threw myself against the wall.

“Oh, wow,” I gasped out, as he moved from five feet away, to inches away. “Um…I would like to wake up now—“

He placed a finger over my mouth. “Faith, there’s a reason I hopped into your dream like this. I want you to put the cloak on.”

“Put it on? You want me to put it on?” I sputtered, intensely aware of the fact that his body had pressed closer against me.

“Yes, my stupid little strawberry- frosted cupcake. I only mentioned it in the letter and gave you many hints,” he whispered, dragging a finger down my cheek. The small action felt wrong, as if he was seeing the situation completely different than mine. I shivered against the wall as he wrapped his hand around the back of my neck. “I want you to put it on because I want you to see.”

“See what?” I said softly, my heart pounding in anticipation.

He chuckled deep in his throat, tightening his hold on the back of my neck as he muttered next to my ear, “See the deal your mother made with me only fourteen years ago.” He pressed his hand against my stomach, igniting a flash of pain in my stomach. I grabbed onto his hand, making my body instantly heat up to an unnatural temperature. “Say you’ll put it on, and I’ll let go," he said throatily.

“STOP!” I screamed, my head hitting the wall in pain. I dug into his hand with my nails, but it only made him chuckle even more.

“Say it.” I stared wide eyed his darkened face, that seemed once again like a black hole. I realized I had been avoiding his face all along, as if I would see something I wouldn’t like. He breathed heavily on my face, sending a massive chill down my back. “Stop staring at me, you’re making me blush scarlet.”

“I’ll do it,” I bit out, cringing away from him. “I’ll put it on.”

The hooded man let go of my stomach and leaned towards me once again, snickering to himself. Instead of saying anything, he poked my nose with his finger and took a step back. “TTYL,” he cheered, making a claw with his hand. He straightned, giving his head a nice scratch.“That means ‘talking to you later’ if you didn’t know. I just recently learned about shortened communication. You people just loose more and more brain cells.”

“Wonderful,” I huffed, my chest still rising and falling at an unnatural pace. How could he be so casual after causing me so much pain?

Before performing his little disappearing act out of the window, and ending the dream that was so realistic it scared me, he muttered a few lingering words, “And you by the way Hope, are officially my BFF.”

******************

IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO ALREADY-----

Re-read the prologue because I added some stuff in it that's important to the novel! SUCH AS- her strange blue eyes and black hair! STRANGE? I think so! It's explained in the prologue ;)