Chapter Seven *Eve*

I didn't dare stay in the barn. The smells. The sights. It brings so much back. Too much.... It was just too much. I hope Amelia didn't pay too much attention to me. She was really eyeing that spotted horse, so I may tell her she has free rein to pick whichever horse she wants as her own. Haha, horse pun.

I let out a shaky breath, and spot an abandoned little building hide back in some trees. Funny that I hadn't noticed it before. It's in about the same state of disrepair as the barn and fence... and okay enough lists. I test the tall barn style door, and the handle comes my hand. Okay... I hook my finger in a hole in the wooden door and tug it open. Dust filters down out the rafters, and I push aside some blue tarps that used to actually be useful. But now they are more useful for... well I don't really know. The thing is covered in mouse holes, so that little squeaker must have a really pretty blue nest.

Something big and bulky sits underneath a large fabric draping. I pull it aside and reveal a Polaris Ranger that hasn't been used in quiet some time. Should I? Well... this ranch and everything on it are officially in my ownership now. "Live on the wild side, Eve." I whisper encouragingly to myself.

I check, the key is in the ignition, but when I turn it I don't get the desired results. This place must be like a little tool shed type place, because I find the tools I need and have the Ranger running in around ten minutes. I smile, wiping the grease on a rag I found on top of the tool chest. This feels good, like a part of me that I had all, but forgotten about.

Tossing the rag behind me, I drive out of the building and park it. I should explore my property, I decide. I mean, why not? Yes. I want to help Amelia out... but.... I just... never mind. Amelia is doing the work all alone in the barn. I take a few steps and am met by the sound of laughter. I take a peek inside the barn and see that she isn't alone. A young man around her age is grinning as they work together to get the barn in shape again. I'll just go quietly.

I pull out a piece of paper and jot down a note to stick on the barn door,

"Hey Amelia.

You are such a great friend and I know you will be amazing at your job.

Pick one of the horses. That one will be your own. No money changing hands.

All yours. Free and clear. Happy trails! :P

Enjoy!

I'll be back later.

~ Eve"

I hop in the Ranger and take off up the nearest open spot in the trees. It's pretty quiet, to have not been used in some time. I drive for 15 minutes or more and just decide to park. There's a beautiful pond up ahead. And from the looks of it... it kind of looks heart shaped. That had to be intentional on somebody's part.

I go and sit by the water just taking everything in. The stillness. The birds chirping. The fact that I don't have to deal with any city noises. It's peaceful. Needed.

I get that eerie feeling that I'm being watched. I whip around, just in time to see the flash of chocolate brown before it's gone. I release the breath that I hadn't realized I had been holding. Wow.... I race back to the Ranger, making my way back home.