Chapter One *EVE*

I spun around watching my reflection in the gold rimmed mirror. I wore a smile on my face that couldn't be taken away. My long brown hair was in an up-do and a beautiful white dress with cap shoulders graced my body. I couldn't believe it. This! Today! It was my wedding day!

My bridesmaids were currently putting on their dresses and finishing getting ready. It was less than two hours before I was to marry the man that I had met and fallen in love with several years ago. Donovan Callough was handsome and kind. He was also rich, but I honestly could careless about his money. He treats me like a princess. Donovan is from a very well to do family, and his father is in politics. His family didn't seem to approve of me and Donovan together at first. However, I think that I have grown on them over time. Because if I hadn't I don't think I would be standing here doing this today.

A knock sounds at my door, where I'm staying until I'm 'allowed' to come out and present myself. "Come in." I smile, still looking at my reflection in the mirror. I look up, expecting to see one of my bridesmaids.

"Donny!" I squeal, and rush to cover myself or hide behind something. I can't let him see me in my wedding dress before the ceremony. They say that is the worst of bad luck. "Cover your eyes!" I swat at his hands.

He stands there in his business suit. Wait... what? That's not the wedding tux. Why isn't he ready, or at least getting ready for our vows? "Eve. We have to talk." Donovan says, refusing to look at my face.

"Donny. What's wrong? Why aren't you getting ready?" My insides feel like they are going to burst, I wait and dread his reply.

"I can't marry you." Donovan states in a monotone voice.

Four words. Who knew that four little words could send my life into a tail spin.

"Why?" I cry out, letting tears rush down my face. I don't care how I look. Besides it sounds like I won't be getting married today anyhow.

"Don't freak out, Eve." Donovan runs a hand through his hair, finally looking at me. "Look. Let's just end this quietly and without making a scene. This doesn't need to make it to the news."

"This is about your dad, isn't it?" I whimper from beside the man I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. "Do you not love me anymore? Or am I not right for the senator's son?"

"Don't make this any harder than it already is, Eve." He touches my cheek. For once I don't lean into his touch, I smack his hand away. He recoils back from me. "Anyways. Here. This is to make things better between us." Donovan hands me a sealed letter.

"What's this my pink slip?" I laugh. As I open it, and pull out the paper, I gasp. "The ranch. You are giving me the ranch to keep quiet?"

"That's the deal, Eve Ruth Cross. You have to pay no money, and there's a sufficient bank account to get you started. There's horses and cattle. It will give you a good life." Donovan says over his shoulder, as he exits the room... and my life.

So that's that, I suppose. I have been threw to the curb. I'm being exiled to a ranch that has seen better days. That way no one will think of the "scandal" of the precious senator's son. Out of sight, out of mind. What am I going to do?