Chapter Two ~Amelia~

I never knew what it was like to be a cooped up chicken, until my family moved to the city when I turned sixteen. My education is important to my family, and they wanted nothing more than for me to go to the best college they could afford for their only child.

I, on the other hand, want nothing more than to work on a beautiful ranch with horses. I was born with horse sense. My first word was 'horsey'. If I was ever upset, my mother would take me out to visit the ponies and my tears would immediately disappear and the barn would be filled with my laughter.

But now, we live in the city, hence, the cooped chicken feeling. It feels as though I'm being suffocated and there's no room to move. I can't sing without the neighbors hearing, I can't look out the window without feeling eyes on me, and I can't take a walk without having to bring my pepper spray.

And now I'm here, late for Eve's wedding and just stepped into the lobby as she fled out of the women's room. Her face is covered in smeared make up from crying.

"Wha...." I manage to get out in my shock.

"Oh, I'm sorry Amelia." She sniffs, trying hopelessly to wipe the makeup off.

"What's the matter? You can't marry Donovan looking like that." I chuckle. She starts hysterically crying again, which befuddles me greatly. Shouldn't she be happy?

"Dear Lord....what on earth? Sit down and collect yourself Eve." I take her arm gently and set her on the crimson couch just a few steps to the right. I hand her my handkerchief and wait for an explanation.

"He....he doesn't want to marry me." She begins, then tells me everything that happens. Then she hands me the pink slip she's been clinging to this whole time.

"He gave me the ranch. I dunno what to do." She sniffs as I read the paper.

"He gave you the ranch?" I practically gasp.

What I wouldn't give to own a ranch.

"Yeah, but....I don't know how to run it." Her beautiful eyes flick up to mine, then seem to twinkle. Uh-oh..

"You've always said you want to be a horse trainer!" She manages a small smile. "Would you help me, Amy?"

I almost snatch the offer without any second thoughts, then my own smile fades.

"But.....my family will be so mad. They'll practically disown me. Dad will be furious." I think aloud. She raises an eyebrow.

"You think they'd care that much?"

Sighing, I knit my eyebrows together. "You know what, it doesn't matter. I'm eighteen years old. I'm old enough to make my own decisions. I couldn't think of anything worse than wasting money in a college I don't even want to be in. I'll go with you."

Her face lights up. "Thank you so much Amelia, I'm so glad I'll have you to help." She takes my hands in hers.

"Thank you for giving me the job of my dreams. Now let's get you cleaned up and out of that dress." I laugh. She starts laughing with me before we make our way back into the ladies room.