Chapter Three *Eve*

"I can't believe I'm doing this." I say as I put the last of my large items in the back of the moving truck. 

"Is that all, ma'am?" The driver says a smile warming his wrinkled face.

"Oh. Yes. Thank you. That'll be all. I have everything else in my car." He nods in response and gets in the truck, heading towards Amy's place, for anything that she might need that couldn't fit in the bed of her pickup truck.

I take one more look around my apartment, passing memories in every room. Part of me is grateful for new start. I don't want to see Donovan's face anymore anyhow. My breath starts getting short and weazing. Calm, Eve. Okay, the apartment is clear of anything that is mine. I toss the keys on the clerks desk. "It was nice knowing you, Jerry." I call out over my shoulder.

"Same to you, Miss Cross." I wave my hand in the air in reply, then slide into my GMC Terrain. At first, this car was sort of odd to me, but then it grew on me. It was my work vehicle. There goes that train of thought again. It's making me feel like I'm going to hyperventilate. I need something to calm myself.

I take a turn to the right, and maneuver my SUV towards the empty bay of the car wash. As crazy as it would sound if I actually told someone, riding through a car wash calms me. Always has since I was little. I'm thankful for the eight crisp dollar bills in my purse. I slip them into the slot and wait for the sign to flash "Drive Forward". This is my cheap therapy.

As I drive in and stop the car, I watch the water start spluttering out. I close my eyes and let my mind just drift as my car soaks. I never pictured my life being this way five years ago. As a twenty year old, I had gotten a job at this big corporate company where Donovan happened to be a young Vice President. I was a bottom floor secretary. I moved up quickly and soon found myself in marketing. I loved the challenge, and the president and vice president took notice of my hard work and go getter attitude. Then the vice president took notice in another way.

Donovan had approached me slowly and cautiously. What started as meetings shrank into dates. He was so sweet and good to me. So much so that about two years ago I suddenly realized I was in love with him. That day when I was all ditzy happened to be the day I met Amelia. The friendship had stuck, despite the fact that there's several year's difference. I'm twenty five, and she's eighteen. It's kind of like having a sister.

The cherry like smell of the wax covering my car brings me back to the present. The next thing I know I'm heading down the road. This is  a challenge I can face. One way or another. After all I won't be alone, I'll have Amy, and most importantly...God!