Chapter 38

Chapter 38

The air was calm, the clouds loomed over head and distant thunder claps could be heard, it was deadly quiet that even death himself could be heard taking light steps across the urban landscape, the tower loomed over the small courtyard as if its waiting for it all to kick off, the sound of flapping wings could heard and the sound of radio equipment could be heard, shallow footsteps were being made by men in full combat gear, each one wore a black trench coat with a black flak jacket underneath, black shin guards and heavy duty combat boots, each one wore a pair of leather gloves, a black scarf covering around there lower half of the face wearing a black beret with a silver pin of two crossed handguns in front of a shield.

The road had blockades with sandbags and concrete blocks, some had machine gun turrets with small vans, jeeps and trucks, each one black with the same symbol as the badges, the place was in lockdown with mercenaries, commander Ginseng was walking around inspecting his troops, his eyes narrowed so he look down the long road, at the end was a large roundabout, he took up a pair of binoculars and looked up, he could make out two navy APCs come from either side heading towards his position, six wheeled like daemons bore down on his men, both had two large dozer scoops attached to the front while the two .50 cal machine guns fired blindly into their directions, Ginseng could see that they showed no signs of stopping, he picked up his radio and called for his men to fall back and prep the stingers.

Marcus, Luna and Ruby sat in one APC, Marcus had checked his gun and placed it back into the holster, he was handed a small submachine gun with a collapsible stock and a red dot sight, he was then handed four clips as one of the troopers said “leave it on semi for now”

Marcus nodded, Ruby checked her guns again while another trooper gave Luna a combat shotgun she looked at it with disgust  as she said “i don’t do guns”

The trooper looked at her and said “You sure? You may need it?”

Luna smiled and said “I’m quite sure, the last time i used a gun was France 1942, since then i had no need”

Ruby looked at Luna and said “You were in France then? What happened?”

Luna had a big cheeky smile on her face “well lets just say we resistance members get lonely and the Germans as well”

Ruby giggled as two of the troopers looked at each other and shrugged, overhead the machine gun could be heard firing, the team leader said “Ok you bitches and suckers, we have thirty seconds i want everybody prepped, the APCs will lay down cover fire, we move up to the barricades and lay down fire, we move up then the two vans behind us will unload behind us, we do it fast and quick and for god sakes pick your targets and don’t die”

Luna looked at the guy with disbelief as she looked at Ruby and said “who the hell is this guy?”

Ruby shrugged as Marcus said “He is ex military, been in it for years”

Caleb, Lucan and Ana were sitting in the next APC, the mood in there was quiet as Lucan looked at Ana and said “Listen, how long have you know Marcus?”

Ana smiled as looked over her gun and loaded a clip “Well Lucan let’s just say long enough”

Caleb looked on and asked “How did you meet?”

Ana smiled “let’s just say we were at the same place with different interests”

Lucan raised a eyebrow “And what was the interests?”

Ana made a gesture tapping the tip of her nose as to indicate that she is not telling, the machine guns could be heard firing as Lucan said out loud “right then, lock, load and embrace for impact, this train is on a one way ticket”