The Intern.

You sleepily rubbed your eyes as you walked into the Scotland Yard offices. It was 11:00pm and you had volunteered to do the night shift to help sort out paperwork. You'd only been working as an intern there for a few months, so you figured it would help you earn some brownie points.

When you entered the office, there was only 3 or 4 people in the building, all of whom were packing their things up, ready to go home. You, on the other hand, were getting ready to spend the next 6 hours sorting through paperwork.

"Ah, (Y/N). You here for the night shift?" One of your colleagues, whose name you couldn't quite remember said. You nodded shyly "Good luck, Is it your first one?" They asked. You nodded again. The man smiled and patted you reassuringly on the back "You'll be fine, I'm sure" He laughed "Greg will be up shortly. See you tomorrow" He said, before he walked off.

You stared blankly into space for a minute. He did just say Greg, didn't he?, You thought to yourself. Greg. Greg Lestrade, the Detective Inspector of Scotland Yard, the man that was meant to be helping you through this internship, but instead, spent most of his time avoiding you and pretending you were not there.

In your 6 months of working at The Yard, you hadn't spoke to him once. You remember the first time you were introduced to him and even then, he brushed you off, pretending he had something else he needed to be getting on with. Nobody had ever made you feel so unwelcome in your life.

*6 months ago*

"So, this is where all the senior detective's offices are. If you ever need anything, you go straight to them" The man who was showing you around explained "Oh, DI Lestrade's there. I'll introduce you. He's the one who will be helping you through this internship" He smiled, as he opened the door to Greg's office.

"Greg- Have you got a minute?" The man paused "I want to introduce you to (Y/N), the new intern" He explained. Greg looked up and at you briefly, before he looked down again and waved his hand dismissively in the air "Not right now, I'm busy" He said abruptly.

The man looked awkwardly at you, and then at Greg "Oh.. Okay, Later then" He said, before the two of you sheepishly left the office.

And that was your first impression of Detective Inspector Greg Lestrade- safe to say it was not a good one, and it still hadn't changed. He still hadn't made an effort to speak to you. You'd caught him staring at you a few times, but he never once approached you to speak to you.

Suddenly, you heard the door open behind you. You promptly turned around and saw Greg striding through the offices. He then suddenly looked up at you "Oh" He said, staring blankly at you "It's you" He added. You nodded awkwardly, clearly seeing he wasn't happy to see you "Yup" You paused, smiling slightly at him "It's me" You said.

Greg stood silently and stared blankly at you for a second "Right. I'll be in my office. The paperworks over there" He explained, before he promptly strode over to his office and shut the door behind him as he entered. You sighed despondently, yet again feeling completely embarrassed and humiliated at the way Greg had treated you. You just didn't understand it. You then took another deep breath, before you began to make a start to the paperwork that had to be done.

***

It was now 3:07am, and you had managed to get most of the paperwork done, but tiredness was beginning to get the better of you, so you decided to take a break and grab a coffee from the machine in the office.

You sluggishly made your way over to the machine. You'd never actually been up this late in your entire life. You weren't one for parties, never really went to sleepovers as a child and had gotten yourself into the routine of having a solid 8 hours of sleep a night. But not tonight.