Chapter Twelve

I reread Adam's letter again and again trying to make sense of it, but it was impossible. He said he loved me but couldn't be with me? Does that make any sense? I think not! But as much as I hate to admit it, he's right. We should keep our distance from each other because in some weird way, he has caught feelings, and so have I, and that's not good for Troy. But I can't go walking around knowing that my huge crush has feelings for me. Like, what the f***? I need to find him. Now. Quickly, I grab my robe and throw it on and bolt out the door, gripping on to the letter, barefoot. 

               "Your Majesty, are you alright?" someone says. I turn around and I'm so surprised I almost fall over.

               "Chase?" 

                                                       **********

                "Annebelle? I mean, Princess Annebelle. What-what are you doing here?" he stutters, staggering back. I'm surprised he knows my name, or knows me in general. 

                 "I'm the Princess." I say. "What are you doing here? I thought you moved."

                  "I did. Here I am." He says, looking around.

                  "You moved to England? You didn't tell anyone that! Nor did I know that you would be my new protection detail."

                   "I'm sorry?"

                   "Ugh. Doesn't matter. I need you to help me, please." I say.

                   "What do you need?"

                   "Do you happen to know where my old guard got stationed at? Please tell me you know." I beg, he has to know. I need to see him, and more importantly, we need to talk on the way he just left me like that.

                    "Yes, he switched with me. He came in last night, begging to exchange. I believe he was even crying. He was stuttering things out so fast, but I think it was something about it being to painful." 

                    Oh poor Adam, my heart ached for him. And just to imagine that I caused this, I lead him on only for him to be hurt. Only to show him that we can't be together because of those stupid suitors who are tearing us apart!

                     "Where was your last station? Tell me." 

                     "Don't you know?"

                     "Of course I don't know. If I did, would I be having this conversation with you? Just tell me already."

                      "Annebelle, he's guarding Princess Elizabeth now." 

                       His words knock the breath out of me, I nearly fall on the floor. Elizabeth, he went to go take care of Elizabeth. Oh my god, is this why he left? Is this the excuse he makes for leaving and going to go guard Elizabeth? I can't believe him! Ugh, and here I thought he loved me, but I guess the truth hides in the lies of those you love. Without even thinking, I walk in the direction of Elizabeth's room, mad as hell.

                      "Your Majesty, where are you going?"

                      "To see him. Stay here, I'll be right back." I say under my breath. I stomp my way down the corridor, imagining what I would say when I see him. Finally, I turn the corner and see him and Liz standing in front of her room. They're close, to close. I stop and listen to what they're saying.