Chapter Two

By the time morning hit, my mind was buzzing with questions about last night. After mum and Liz's conversation last night, I couldn't get anymore sleep. So this morning during breakfast. I was extra mad at mum.

        "Morning." mum chirped cheerfully. I don't even look up at her as I tell her to shut up.

        "Well someone is in a bad mood today." she sighs.

        "Yeah, no s***."

        "Ms. Annebelle, young ladies do not cuss! One dollar in the swear jar."

        "You can't make me." I simply reply.

         " The hell if I can't! I am your mother and you will do as I say." 

         "I thought you said young ladies don't cuss? I guess that makes you old." I snicker.

         "Swear jar, now." she says.

         "I'm a Princess, remember? I don't take orders from servants like you. And besides, we don't have one anymore. I broke the damn thing. Now bye." I get up from my seat and go to my room. Liz is there. looking at my pearl collection again.

         "What are you doing here?" I ask bitterly. Her eyes stay glued to the collection, face pained.

         "She never forgot." She whispered, hand extending out to touch them.

         "Don't!" I leap in front of her and extend my arms out so she wouldn't be able to reach. "Please don't touch them. They're the only thing my mum ever did good for me." Her slight smile is filled with pain and desire. 

         "I'm assuming you want to talk to me?" Liz says, taking a seat at the edge of the bed.

         "As a matter of fact, I do."

         "Spill." she says.

         "Why were you here last night? Who is your mother and what does she have to with me? I thought you lived with your dad. Do you work for my mum? Ohhhhh! Are you a spy? Are you even my friend?" Elizabeth closes her eyes and sighs deeply.

         "Look, I'm going to give it to you straight."

         "Please do." She takes another sigh and lays on the bed, hair flowing out all around her head.

         "She needed to speak with me about you, something important, don't worry. Your mum, and my mother, well, she's known you since you were born. She even named you. Oh, that's not my dad. Not even related. I don't work for your mother Annebelle, that's ridiculous. I work with her. So, we're not spies." Liz finishes with a sigh. She glances up at me and waits for a reaction.

         "You never answered my last question." I say. She sits up and frowns.

         "Which is?" 

         "Are you, my friend?" I say. tears brimming my eyes.

         "Of course I'm your friend. We've been friends since we were born. How can you ask such a thing?"

         "Let me see." I say. rising from the bed. "You sneak around at night with my mother discussing who knows what. You guys have all these secrets regarding me and my emotions and you ask how I can say such a thing. How dare you! I am done with you and your lies. I don't want anything to do with you ever again. Ever."

         But Elizabeth just sits there, staring at me like she was bored or something.

        "Are you done?" she asks.