I put my arm around Tara’s shoulders saying “We’ll see him soon.”

She sighed. “Yeah, I know. I just don’t want him to go, even though I know it has to happen.”

I silently agreed and we stood there for a few minutes of calm silence until we heard a crash from upstairs. “And that would be my cue.” Said Tara, leaving me and marching back up the stairs.

Most of the rest of day went by without much fuss. I called my parents (which ended up being experience similar to the one I had in Florida), Tara finished cleaning the house and left to get groceries and Seth came over to see Mirabelle. Then while Tara was still gone, Rena ran up to me. “Come here, you’ve got to see this!” she said with excitement alive in her eyes.

“Okay.” I said, wondering what they’d gotten up to this time.

I followed her over to the back door by the kitchen and saw Mirabelle and Seth cooing over something in a little box of rags. “What is it?” I asked warily.

Mirabelle scooped up something and presented to me a little grey and white fluff. Oh wait, make that a kitten. It was mostly grey with white paws with big ears and big green eyes and the tiniest little nose. It gave a little high-pitched meow and Mirabelle brought the little thing close to her. I took all my might not to say ‘aw’ because that is really not a manly thing to do.

“We found it outside back by the old tree stand. The poor thing was shivering and hungry so we brought it in and gave it milk.” Said Rena, gazing at it adorably. She looked back up at me. “Can we keep it?”

If it were my decision to make, I would’ve said yes on the spot. But, it wasn’t. “Seeing as its Tara’s house, you should ask her when she gets home. It’s not really me decision.”

“Ok then.” She replied before gazing upon the kitten again. Just then, we heard the front door open and close, and Tara yelled “I’m home!”

“We’re back here!” I yelled. She dumped the food on the counter and came by me.

“What are you doing here?” she asked Seth. That’s when I remembered that he came when she was gone and hadn’t been expecting him home so soon.

“I came to see Mirabelle.” He said simply. “And her and Rena found this.”

Mirabelle held up the little kitten once more and I watched as Tara went all gushy just looking at it. “Can we keep it?” asked Rena with pleading eyes.

*Tara’s POV*

“Can we keep it?” asked Rena with pleading eyes.

 I looked back down at the kitten with it big eyes and tiny little paws. I sighed; it was just too adorable to say no. “I guess so.” I said, giving in to the cuteness it had. Rena and Mirabelle beamed. “Let’s see if it’ a boy or girl. Hand it over.”

She reached out to hand it to me but Conner intervened. “I can tell.” He said, although I think he just wanted to hold the little thing for himself. As he held it up to look, we all heard a small whizzing sound and sure enough it peed on his shirt.

We all burst out laughing while Conner didn’t see the much humor in it. “Well, it’s a boy.” He concluded before giving it to me and mumbling “going to go take a shower.”

I tried my best to stop snickering about the incident and instead focused on the kitten. I cradled him like a baby and tickled his little tummy. He was just too cute. I shook my head and decided to get out of the mushy state of mind. “Ok this is how it’s going to be. You guys can name him, I’ll buy the cat food and litter, but you guys will be responsible for all messes made and the cleaning of the litter box. Okay?”